(SOLVED) Tool to move GRUB????

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxForever

(SOLVED) Tool to move GRUB????

Post by LinuxForever »

I can't find a tool in Mint to change where GRUB is located on a hard drive. Is there a tool in Mint that will move GRUB from the MBR to the root partition, or is the only way to do this with the CLI? I need to know this in case I need to move GRUB for chainloading. Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Tool to move GRUB????

Post by Fred »

LinuxForever,

I don't know of a GUI program to do it, but there probably is somewhere. The bigger question is why would you want to go to the trouble of downloading and installing a GUI program to do something that is so simple to do from the command line?

Let's say that you want to put grub on the sda5 partition. Open a terminal and type:

sudo grub

root (hd0,4)

setup (hd0,4)

quit

That's it. You have just installed Grub to sda5 pointing to the menu.lst located in /boot/grub of the / partition on sda5.

Fred
LinuxForever

Re: Tool to move GRUB????

Post by LinuxForever »

Fred, thanks for the help. I guess I'm looking for a point and click linux distro. There aren't any yet but Mint comes closer than any of the others. Some of the other distros I've tried have that tool in them. May be clem will put that kind of tool into Mint at some point.

I'll save your post to a text file in case I ever need to change where GRUB is located.

Return to “Installation & Boot”