USB Devices Causing Random Freeze solved

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garda

USB Devices Causing Random Freeze solved

Post by garda »

Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble with system stability when tethering USB devices to my computer. When I try to copy a large file (around 150-650 MB) from a SD Card, the computer would completely freeze after copying some portion of the file. The same stability issue occurs when I try to download and install packages with Synaptic and when downloading and installing updates with MintUpdate while using my mobile phone as a modem, which is connected via USB. I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue but can't tell what to do, due to my lack of familiarity with Linux. Could anyone help me with this? I mean, where to start? Does Mint (Elyssa) keep a comprehensive record of system activity that I can use to know what the culprit is?

Thank you in advance.

Garda.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: USB Devices Causing Random Freeze

Post by Husse »

All logs are in /var/log
Begin by checking

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep usb
also check

Code: Select all

dmesg | tail
It seems the common factor is (large?) files through USB
I've seen problem reports mainly copying from the pc to a USB gadget not the other way round like you have
garda

Post by garda »

Thanks for replying.

I've entered all the commands you told me and read through all the available logs but still have no idea on what's wrong. Are there any particular strings that I have to look for? Everything seems pretty standard to me, nothing unusual. :?
It seems the common factor is (large?) files through USB
But not the only factor. Using my phone as a modem through USB also causes random freeze, albeit less frequently.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll have to check more
Husse

Post by Husse »

Check this
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 31#p103709
To restart hcd could pin point whats bugging you.....
garda

Post by garda »

I thought you had forsaken this thread. So thank you for coming back. :)
I'll try to do your advice ASAP and post the results here afterwards.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I haven't had the time to look into the unsolved for a week - now that I did so most were solved (not by me :))
garda

Post by garda »

It's been a while now since my last reply and I want to report that this stability issue no longer occurs. The thing is, I'm not sure what actually caused the problem to go away. I applied your solution on the other thread that you pointed me to, and it seemed to improve system stability by quite a bit although not entirely getting rid of the problem. I then made the mainboard's sensors work under Mint (it didn't work out of the box) and now I no longer have any kind of annoying random freeze any more. Thus, I think the solution you gave me plus functional mainboard sensors under Mint have sorted out the stability issue for me. But well, that's simply a wild guess at best unless somebody could say otherwise.

Thank you for your help. I owe you quite some. :D

Return to “Hardware Support”