Houndstooth VGA Screen

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Davidb

Houndstooth VGA Screen

Post by Davidb »

Hi All, when my laptop boots into the graphical login screen it has a "Houndstooth pattern" all over.
The desktop is there but is unusable as the (Hardware) cursor is about 2" left of the actual position that you should be clicking on.
I have an xorg.conf that should work but i cannot get it off the usb stick and into the /etc/X11/ directory because when i boot into "Safe Mode" it wants a root password and never lets me get any further. The laptop is an HP 2133 Mininote Suse SLED edition, 1Gb ram, 80Gb HD and VIA Chrome VGA.

Any help would be appreciated

David
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AK Dave

Re: Houndstooth VGA Screen

Post by AK Dave »

Do you have Mint or SUSE on the laptop?

The grey/black houndstooth background is an X thing. You almost certainly have a problem with your xorg.conf.
Davidb

Post by Davidb »

I am using Mint, So apart from the xorg/vga problem I have found this to be the best distro for a mininote.
Putting an external monitor on does not work either as i have tried 4 different makes of tft and 3 different
makes of crt monitors. just need to get in and change the xorg.conf, but its hard when you cant see what your doing.
Davidb

Post by Davidb »

Sorted, I managed to login open up konsole and change the root password by running the Mint live cd on another pc and duplicating my actions on both. Once the root password was changed i rebooted into safe mode and edited my xorg.conf. :P
Thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”