adding third party repository

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

adding third party repository

Post by mgh »

Hi All,

I am tring to add a third party repository (SlimDevices SqueezeCenter) for a wireless music player. They have instructions for Ubuntu, and I have installed in successfully in Ubuntu, but am having problems with LM V3.0.

In Ubuntu, the instructions state to make sure I have selected "Universe". I do not see that option with LM. Maybe that is the problem?

I go to settings/repositories, click new, paste the URL in the url field, clike OK, get the statement that the repository has been added. I refresh, but can not find the package to install it.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thank You
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: adding third party repository

Post by clem »

Try to edit the source file directly, in a terminal: "sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list"

As for Universe, it's already enabled by default in Linux Mint.

Clem.
mgh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mgh »

Thank You. That worked perfectly.

Will the routime of opening package manager and adding a repository ever work, or will I need to edit the list everytime?

Thanks for your time.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I started using Linux with Slackware in 1996 and since then I've always had a taste for nice and clear system files. So in our sources.list I decided to put comments and to use two hash signs and a space in front of commented out lines... it turns out (and I didn't know that at the time) that Synaptic expects commented out lines to be preceeded by only one # sign and doesn't really understand anything else :) In practice it doesn't see our commented lines... in future versions of Mint we'll hope that this will be fixed upstream by synaptic and we'll also make sure to only use one #.

Clem.

Return to “Beginner Questions”