No Problem. Just a little praise.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

No Problem. Just a little praise.

Post by bobpur »

A little Sony Vaio PCV-E302DS Digital Studio has got a new lease on life thanks to Mint XFCE. It's a P II, with 64 mb RAM and a 10 GB hdd.

I bought this little machine from a yard sale for $5.00 figuring it was worth that for parts. Well it was all there and powered up when I plugged it in. After maxing out the RAM (256 mb) I tried Win 2000 in it. It was sssssslllllloooowwwww. I resolved to go ahead and part it out. Well, I ended up trying a Mint Cassandra XFCE disc in it. Wow! what an improvement. I doubt this machine was this fast when it had Win95 or 98 in it. We're working on an Ellysa upgrade as soon as the ISO is downloaded and burned. Yeah, I know I could've upgraded over the net, but I always seemed to have less trouble doing a clean install.

So far, everything works that I've tried. It won't burn CD's or DVD's. It will play them (not movie DVD's just backups) and it surfs the internet and streams music. The floppy drive works, too.

I guess I can wait a while longer for some spare parts. :)

Thanks for the OS that this little Sony and I did this and some other posts with this evening.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: No Problem. Just a little praise.

Post by Husse »

That is fun :)
I also have some old parts laying around..... and sometimes I'm playing around :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

bobpur, thanks for posing the system specs! I am amazed that you are running the Xfce CE on 64 MB of RAM! You will defiantly get your $5.00 worth of use out of that laptop!
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bobpur »

exploder wrote:bobpur, thanks for posing the system specs! I am amazed that you are running the Xfce CE on 64 MB of RAM! You will defiantly get your $5.00 worth of use out of that laptop!
You missed something from the original post. 64 mbs RAM was the amount of RAM when I paid the $5.00. It, now, is maxed out at 256 mbs RAM (per www.crucial.com). I have a shoebox full of old RAM and didn't have a problem finding enough to do the job.

Also, It's a small form factor desktop not a laptop.

Husse, I packrat all kinds of old computer stuff for future use. I, even, have a combo drive that uses both sizes of floppies. Well, I might need it some day. :)

The wife said, a while back, that I needed a hobby and it has gotten bigger than both of us. She reckons that I have more available computer power than NASA. :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

I, even, have a combo drive that uses both sizes of floppies.
Keep it! Treat it kindly!
Someone some day wants to read 5½ inch floppys - the problem is - would it be recognized by the operating system....
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bobpur »

Maybe I'll leave it to the Smithsonian Institute just down the road about 2..5 hours. Along with my Win95 disk, my Win98 disk and my Win98 SE upgrade disk. I get digging around the attic I might find some old 5.25 floppies from my mothers days as a secretary. I bet they'd still be good. :)
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Look for the...garbage can :lol:
Husse

Post by Husse »

DapperMe17 wrote:Look for the...garbage can :lol:
Not quite sure - one of the problems foreseen for the future - and a very serious one - is how we will be able to read the digital media
Already there are media only about 20 years old that has virtually nothing that can read them...
Good paper lasts a 1000 + years properly stored...

Return to “Xfce”