Mint on new Vista laptop - Which partition to resize?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Mint on new Vista laptop - Which partition to resize?

Post by vinoman »

I just bought a Acer Extensa 4420-5239. It has a 120 gb hdd. When I go into the disk management in Vista I see this.

111.79 gb=
partition - 9.77 healthy, EISA Configuration
partition - Acer C: 51.01 gb, healthy. 14gb used for Vista
partition - Data D: 51.01 gb healthy. 1gb used

When I run the Live CD to install, Mint wants to use 47gb of free space. Where is it getting the number? Should I shrink one of the Vista partitions or just let Mint use the 47 gb it wanted to as default installation size?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint on new Vista laptop - Which partition to resize?

Post by Husse »

I would not recommend using the guided partitioning when you already have a system on the disk - use manual partitioning
In the data partition create a swap (2xmemory - the sum of swap and memory not exceeding 3 GB approx) and a root partition of some 10 GB the rest can be shared between Vista and Mint for data but it's better to create a Linux partition for data
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

I ended up shrinking the data partition and then selected use the continous free space. Mint is working fine. I just have to configure the wifi and I'm done. What is the best link to learn how to configure wifi?

I have an Acer Extensa 4420-5239 it has a Broadcom chip. Someone mentioned using ndiswrapper or fwcutter. I have both installed. Where would I go from here?
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

Thanks. I've been going through this page, http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
But where is the ndiswrapper located so I can install the drivers?
I have a Broadcom BCM4312 card
Husse

Post by Husse »

But where is the ndiswrapper located so I can install the drivers?
The Windows Wireless Drivers tool in the Control Center (almost a t the bottom)
(To be quite correct the tool is ndisgtk and it gives you access to ndiswrapper)
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

...when I go there it asks for an inf file. What would that be? Also where is ndiswrapper located on the hdd?
Husse

Post by Husse »

vinoman wrote:...when I go there it asks for an inf file. What would that be? Also where is ndiswrapper located on the hdd?
The inf file is basically a Windows driver - you may have to extract it from some CD you have or download

Code: Select all

which ndiswrapper
gives
/usr/sbin/ndiswrapper
but that's some info you have no use for :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”