Boinc and Mint X64

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lonoy

Boinc and Mint X64

Post by lonoy »

Hi

I have recently started testing Mint X64. I have noticed with my Boinc program as the only program running in Mint 5 I use around 450 MB of RAM. In the X64 version of Mint it is running at around 1000 MB. Both use the same exact same Boinc preferences to how much RAM should be used. I am curious as to why there is such a difference in RAM usage thanks. My system has 2 Gig of RAM.

Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Boinc and Mint X64

Post by Husse »

Boinc seems to be a resource hog....
I'm not quite sure it uses that amount of memory - it can simply be reserved and ready to be released when/if needed
Linux has a habit of doing this I'm told
lonoy

Post by lonoy »

Thanks for the reply. I looked into this further. With BOINC disabled I am still showing the same amount of RAM being "used". From reading this page, 90% of which made no sense, but the first few paragraphs did seem to explain what I was looking at.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_Linux_Memory_Management

The the 64bit utilizing a lot more RAM as a cache, almost twice as much as the 32bit on my system anyway. This would help to explain why the applications open quicker.

With BOINC activated my RAM usage did not increase, the reason I believe is because, even though it was using around 230MB on the 64 bit version, was that the amount of Cache Memory decreased to compensate for the actual real memory being used.

I looked at my RAM usage two ways, one by doing the "dig" command. The other by opening the System Monitor then:
Edit>Preferences>Processes>Then tick Memory. This way you see the actual memory being used by a program.

From all this the 64bit uses more RAM as a Cache and sees unused RAM as wasted. X64 was doing what it was suppose to do, I was just not reading the figures for what they really were.

BOINC is set with a Nice value of 19 so one does not even know it is running so in fairness to BOINC it can't be titled a resources hog. It will use what RAM you set it to do though when no other applications are running. In my case it is 20% which gives me the 230MB figure above.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I am barking up the wrong tree on all of this. I have another 2GB of RAM coming this week, I am interested in what the figures will show then.

Cheers
Husse

Post by Husse »

You're absolutely right and that was what I wrote too, but my mind could not find the word cache :)

Return to “Software & Applications”