Dropbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Dropbox

Post by Husse »

I don't know - but I see no reason it should not work
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
calibre97

Post by calibre97 »

I've added the respository listed on the dropbox website (deb http://linux.getdropbox.com/ubuntu intrepid main and yes, I've confirmed it's there at the bottom of /etc/apt/sources.list), but for the life of me, I can't see DropBox or Nautilus-DropBox or any variation thereof anywhere in MintInstall or MintUpdate or wherever. I've downloaded the deb file and when I double-click it, Package Installer fires up but then says, "Same version is available in a sofware channel" and that "You are recommended to install the software from the channel instead." but I can't figure out what a software channel is.

Once I've added a repository, shouldn't the app(s) behind said repository become available somewhere? I'm pretty sure that's how it worked to get VirtualBox installed: add repository, do refresh and there it was. But that workflow ain't working for DropBox. Also, on that note, I can't seem to find the "Software sources" I thought was available in Mint. Somewhere you put in new sources or have it refresh...I just can't find it anymore. Maybe I'm misremembering what's available in Kubuntu, but I don't think so because I've updated that to KDE 4.2 but other than that, I don't boot to that. Pretty much all Mint. So where is the Software Sources or Resources and what's a software channel, or should I just go ahead and install DropBox from the deb file?

Now that I think about it, the Sources option *must* be in Kubuntu, not Mint. Still, what's a software channel?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Software sources is an ubuntu applet you should not install in Mint
It renders Synaptic (Package manager) half useless
It's in Synaptic (and of course apt) you see new packages from a repository you add to sources.list
Open Synaptic, click on refresh - that's important and you should be able to see the packages unless I misunderstand what you are doing
calibre97

Post by calibre97 »

Yes, got it. As I'd said, Sources is Kubuntu. All I was trying to do was install the dropbox deb file. I did reload Synaptic, and in fact just did it again but still no "dropbox" as a package. My question regarding a "software channel" came from the deb installer (gdebi or whatever it is) that told me I should install dropbox from the "software channel". I can't find anything anywhere that explains what that is in the context of Linux Mint and Dropbox.

It's all moot anyway at this point because I said screw it, install it anyway and it did and after a reboot, I'm up and running and syncing just fine.
Husse

Post by Husse »

gdebi or whatever it is) that told me I should install dropbox from the "software channel".
That means from a repository - alas from Synaptic/apt

Return to “Software & Applications”