how do I blacklist USB 2.0 driver? solved

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fudda

how do I blacklist USB 2.0 driver? solved

Post by fudda »

Hi,

I have the following problem:

When USB 2.0 is enabled on my mainboard Elyssa wont boot. Hangs up on BusyBox. Though I have figured out that when I uninstall USB host controllers from Windows, (I have a dual boot) Elyssa boots just perfectly right until I load Windows XP for the next time and install (automatically) all the USB host controllers again. After that Elyssa wont boot again. So here's my thought/question:

Cant I just blacklist the USB 2.0 driver from Elyssa so it wont load at boot but after the OS is fully loaded? Kind of like I had to do with the Broadcom WLAN driverson my notebook? If this is possible then please help me findout how.

But if you know a better work around or yet even a solution for this problem, please let me know.

Thank you all in advance for any type of help.

fudda
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: how do I blacklist USB 2.0 driver?

Post by Husse »

This is far from ideal
To blacklist USB - and this is all USB!

Code: Select all

echo "blacklist usbcore" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist 
Then when you have booted restore USB

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe usbcore 
Hopefully this loads ohci_hcd and ehci_hcd as well
If you experience problems modprobe these too
No guarantees given...
This is perhaps possible to script and make automatic, but first we must know if it works at all
fudda

Post by fudda »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

No it actually didnt work. After digging deeper for the error I found out that it was the:

IRQ 19 : nobody cared issue

Obviously USB 2.0 and my Harddrive were assigned same IRQ because it did either boot with USB onboard disabled from HDD or with my harddrive unplugged from Live CD.

Tried irqpoll like it told me too. That did only work after I disabled the "assign IRQ to USB" option in my BIOS. -.-

Now it boots and everything seems to be working fine. Although I have read on several forums that irqpoll would slow down the machine and network performance.

Is there another way to fix this besides booting with irqpoll option?
Husse

Post by Husse »

after I disabled the "assign IRQ to USB" option in my BIOS.
Maybe you don't need irqpoll now?
But it's no big problem to use irqpoll
fudda

Re: how do I blacklist USB 2.0 driver? solved

Post by fudda »

I had that thought too that maybe I wouldnt need irqpoll then, but I need it although I turned that option off. Weird... :/

But if you say that booting with irqpoll isnt a problem you have taken my worries ;)

Thank you for your help.

Return to “Hardware Support”