ATI Driver-White Blank Screen

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: ATI Driver-White Blank Screen

Post by Husse »

Well you have already discovered how to solve this kind of situation
This is probably an issue with the version of the driver
First of turn off Compiz - in Control Center > Simple Compiz config and/or Appeareance (main edition - you do not tell us which version you have)
Then use Envy to uninstall the driver and to install a new driver. First automatic install - if that fails remove + manual install with an older driver
I can't remember how well the 9800 works under Linux and it is not a very new card - you may even need the legacy driver
If Envy fails use the graphics mode you have now for a while and post back and we'll help you more
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zorrich

Post by zorrich »

Hi,

I have a 9800 XT pro and got it to work yesterday using the ati drivers right from their site. I followed the following advice I got from a Ubuntu forum (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5748110)

"Good news for the people suffering this problem. In a last attempt, I found the - very simple - solution.

1. Ati released a new driver for the card which can be downloaded from their site.

2. sudo sh file-of-the-driver.run

3. Reboot - maybe this is not necessary

4. sudo aticonfig --initial

5. Reboot and enable compiz-fusion "

Just FYI, I did not reboot in step 3. Not sure if this will help you, but figured I'd post my solution.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ zorrich
So this is one of the "bad ATI guys"?
New(er) ATI cards works now about as well as nvidia (with the exception of a bug the hits some cards) but older ones are still tricky
Husse

Post by Husse »

Kernel issue perhaps
In Mandriva could you run
uname -r
and tell us which kernel version it is
Husse

Post by Husse »

The Section "Module" catches my attention
If you add it to the Mint xorg.conf (the v4l bit depends on if you have that in Mint or not) there may be some change
and your Mandriva is using an older kernel - 2.6.24.4
Perhaps it is more friendly to your fairly old card, but I know people use it without (major) problems in Elyssa and Daryna

Return to “Hardware Support”