How can I auto mount my windows partitions?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How can I auto mount my windows partitions?

Post by Lolo Uila »

Do you want the drives to appear as icons on the desktop, or would you like them to be accessible from your home directory?

For desktop icons create a folder in /media and edit your fstab file to mount the drive there. Mint will then show a desktop icon for that drive next time you restart (or you can just manually mount it for this session).

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /media/NTFS /media/FAT32
sudo gedit /etc/fstab
Delete any other entry for the Windows partitions that are there, and add this at the end.

/dev/sda2 	/media/NTFS 	ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/sda3 	/media/FAT32 	vfat defaults 0 0
Of course you can name the new folders whatever you want and adjust the above as needed. Restart and you should have icons in your desk.

I personally don't like too much clutter on my desktop, so I mounted my NTFS data drive in /media (which ends up on the desktop) but for my other Windows partitions that I don't need to access frequently I created the folder mount points in "/mnt", and put links into "/home/partitions" that point to the Windows mount points. Mint5 seems to auto mount anything in /media to the desktop, but does not do this for /mnt (allowing me to put it where I want).

My fstab file looks like this:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/mapper/isw_bdijicaebf_RAID_Volume2 / 	ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/mapper/isw_bdijicaebf_RAID_Volume7 /home 	ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/mapper/isw_bdijicaebf_RAID_Volume6 /usr 	ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/mapper/isw_bdijicaebf_RAID_Volume8 /var 	ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/mapper/isw_bdijicaebf_RAID_Volume9 none 	swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 	/media/cdrom0 			udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 	/media/floppy0 			auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
# NTFS Partitions
/dev/mapper/isw_bdijicaebf_RAID_Volume1 /mnt/NTFS-C 	ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/mapper/isw_bdijicaebf_RAID_Volume5 /mnt/NTFS-H ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
/dev/sda5 				/media/NTFS-685 		ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
And in my home directory I have a folder called "Partitions" and in there I have links to /mnt/NTFS-C & /mnt/NTFS-H.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”