OpenOffice 3

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

OpenOffice 3

Post by darco »

I am not having any luck in installing OOo3 Beta......I was able to install in Ubuntu 8.10 using the Ibex repos . Per the Ubuntu instructions I added these repos to the souce list:
#Calc's_open_office_ppa
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu intrepid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ubuntu intrepid main

Ubuntu installed just fine. Thinking I could so the same w/LM , it did not work.
I also d/l the Beta and removed 2.4 before installing but it was a no-go as well.
Usually list a missing dependencie.....

darco
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: OpenOffice 3

Post by merlwiz79 »

Linux Mint 5 Elyssa is hardy so the repos aren't compatible.
Linux Mint 6 Felicia will use the intrepid repo base and it will install fine on it.
MockY

Post by MockY »

The following is a very and painless way of installing OpenOffice3 Beta

Make sure that OpenOffice 2.4 (or what ever version that your run) is uninstalled.
Then click HERE or HERE and download the tar.
Unpack it onto your desktop by simply double-click the file and drag-n-drop the folder inside to your desktop
Open a terminal window and type the following to navigate into the DEBS folder where the install packages reside

Code: Select all

cd ~/Desktop/OOO300_m8_native_packed-1_en-US.9357/DEBS
Then type this in order to install it properly

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
If you want the launchers to the programs to be automatically added to your menu, simply double-click the single .deb file inside the desktop-integration folder once the initiall install is done.

Done!

You should now have a working install of OpenOffice3 Beta. I installed it on Elyssa and it works flawlessly for my needs. And fast.
rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon »

mockY, good instructions. I did have some trouble installing the desktop integration but all I had to do was remove "openoffice-core". I thought I had removed it all but if core is not uninstalled you cannot install desktop integration. Thanks!
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

MockY wrote:The following is a very and painless way of installing OpenOffice3 Beta

Make sure that OpenOffice 2.4 (or what ever version that your run) is uninstalled.
Then click HERE or HERE and download the tar.
Unpack it onto your desktop by simply double-click the file and drag-n-drop the folder inside to your desktop
Open a terminal window and type the following to navigate into the DEBS folder where the install packages reside

cd ~/Desktop/OOO300_m8_native_packed-1_en-US.9357/DEBS
Then type this in order to install it properly

sudo dpkg -i *.deb
If you want the launchers to the programs to be automatically added to your menu, simply double-click the single .deb file inside the desktop-integration folder once the initiall install is done.

Done!

You should now have a working install of OpenOffice3 Beta. I installed it on Elyssa and it works flawlessly for my needs. And fast.
YA thats what I ended up doing last nite and its working fine...

You guys maybe interested in this link: http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_cont ... _in_Ubuntu
The settings carried over from 2.4 except for "Use a java runtime....." which needs to be unchecked.

darco

Return to “Software & Applications”