Issue with screen Resolution and Log-on screen solved

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Metric

Issue with screen Resolution and Log-on screen solved

Post by Metric »

OK, I have tried searching for this issue but I have come up empty. Most of what I find has to do with the splash screen, but it is totally opposite for me.

1. using ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb
2. Have catalyst 8.9 installed properly and fully functioning.
3. Regular desktop and splash screen are correct resolution.

4. The issue: The desktop is set at 1280x1024 with 60 refresh, but for some reason I cannot figure out how to change the log-on screen. Currently for some weird reason the log-on screen is 1280x1024 but instead it is at 75 refresh. Thus the screen is pushed to right with half the log-on screen cut off. However, 60 refresh is the recommended and works the best for the flat panel hp vs17e monitor.

I have even used the ati config to manually set the vrefresh and hsync to the recommended settings by hp. Nevertheless it did not affect the log-on screen, but the desktop after log-on works just fine.

Edit: Oh yeah, if I use the provided guis to set the resolution it totally screws everything up after reboot. After the reboot it goes into low-res mode and uses the Mesa Driver. Thus, I have to do a aticonfig --initial -f again :( .

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I am really liking the mint :D .

Thanks,
Metric
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Issue with screen Resolution and Log-on screen

Post by Husse »

I just answered a question about the resolution of gdm and used a link to a somewhat older answer
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ion#p94811
Hope it helps - at least you should have it readable now and 75 Hz is ok for most LCDs
OOps I did not see this was for fluxbox - hang on - it's the same....
Metric

Post by Metric »

Yeah, I already saw that looking back through other posts. I have tried it and the log-on screen has not changed. Like I said it is has to do with my monitors Refresh / Auto Adjustment. At 60hz it centers the screen properly, but anything above that and the monitor appears to have issues with the Auto Adjustment. That is why I was looking for a method to change the refresh for the gdm.

Yeah, I have even tried to manually adjust the monitor, but no luck there either. I may just have to live with it, since I can still login.

Edit: I am almost wondering if it has something to do with mint not even seeing the brand that the monitor is... I will rummage around the HP site and see if they have a linux driver for it, because I do not see it listed in mints list of available monitors.
Metric

Post by Metric »

Fixed it. I basically selected the HP VF 17 that had the same refresh rate as mine in the screen and display config in mint. Applied it and restarted and was greeted with the stupid low res thing. So I logged in and applied the aticonfig --initial -f again and restarted. Upon boot it was correctly at 1280x1024 and at 60 refresh rate with the screen centered at login. Desktop works properly and I did the fglrxinfo just to make sure the ATI driver had taken hold properly and it did.

Thanks for trying to help!

Return to “Software & Applications”