How Do I Install Mint TO Replace Ubuntu 8.04

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: How Do I Install Mint TO Replace Ubuntu 8.04

Post by proxima_centauri »

Welcome BPMOU,

What kind of partition scheme do you have for Ubuntu, you can find out by

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
in terminal.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

I dual boot too w/Vista and do not have any issues like yours. I installed Vista first then installed LM.
Your fdsik -l output shows your swap partition is being shared if I am reading it correctly.

Here is mine. I followed the suggestions here on the Forum. Look under the Newbie sections for the stickies..
Basically you would have the installer point to the partition where your Ubuntu is installed....

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 25897 208017621 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 27922 60522 261867532+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 25898 26289 3148740 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda4 26290 27921 13109040 83 Linux
proxima_centauri

As far as I can tell, on your Ubuntu HD you have one partition for the entire system and SWAP running on extended. This means that if you install over Ubuntu, all of your settings and files currently on the HD will be lost. If you want to install Linux Mint, backup all data you wish, stick in the LiveCD and install - making sure to install on sdb not sda. If you want to create a separate partition for your /home or other files it is not difficult to do from the partition editor on the LiveCD.
proxima_centauri

BPMOU is not dual-booting in the traditional sense, rather single booting from two distinct HDs.
proxima_centauri

BPMOU wrote: So I just need to load the LiveCD and use the partition on SDB to replace Ubuntu.

Yes
BPMOU wrote:I tried setting my pc up so it boots directly into the linux drive, but could not figure it out.
You probably can do this through your bios settings.
BPMOU wrote:When I installed Ubuntu I disconnected the drive with Vista on it as I didn't want Grub messing up my MBR.
I don't believe it would overwrite your MBR seeing how it's on a seperate HD, but I'm not 100% so if you're not comfortable use the same method (disconnect) as you did before.
BPMOU wrote:What does this mean " Your fdsik -l output shows your swap partition is being shared if I am reading it correctly."?
The statement in incorrect,your SWAP is on an extended partition which could be what should have been said.
BPMOU wrote:Should I change something? I want Linux and Vista to be on seperate drives, but want to be able to access my documents that are on the Vista drive.
It should detect your vista drive.

Cheers

Return to “Installation & Boot”