gaming performance increase tutorial

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
luposolo

gaming performance increase tutorial

Post by luposolo »

i do not take credit for this script, the credit for this script goes to "cogadh" at the ubuntu forums
here's how the script works it launches a seperate x server to gain some performance boost, all you have to do is open the terminal, make sure your logged in as root
and type this

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#uncomment if launching from console session
#sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
#KDE use this instead
#sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop

# Launches a new X session on display 3. If you don't have an Nvidia card
# take out the "& nvidia-settings --load-config-only" part
X :3 -ac & nvidia-settings --load-config-only

# Goto game dir (modify as needed)
cd "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Game/Directory/"

# Forces the system to have a break for 2 seconds, X doesn't launch instantly 
sleep 2

# Launches game (modify as needed)
DISPLAY=:3 WINEDEBUG=-all wine "C:/Program Files/Game/Directory/game.exe"
msuggs

Re: gaming performance increase tutorial

Post by msuggs »

Anything that helps to boost game performance under Wine is a bonus :) It's a shame we don't have more games converted to run natively in Linux :(
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

You shouldn't be running any programs with root privileges, unless it's an admin program.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

merlwiz79 wrote:You shouldn't be running any programs with root privileges, unless it's an admin program.
hmm, I didn't notice that one (I'll have to stop glancing over posts). I also wouldn't be running any Windows based code as root. A sure fire recipe for disaster.
Apart from that I don't quite understand the script. If I've switched to root priviliges to run it then using sudo to stop gdm wouldn't be necessary. Also you wouldn't just type the script into a terminal. It would have to be saved somewhere, made executable and then run from within the root terminal.

Am I missing something here?

Return to “Tutorials”