Elyssa x64 RC1 released

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Elyssa x64 RC1 released

Post by clem »

Linux Mint is proud to announce its very first 64 bits release: Elyssa x64 RC1. The purpose of the x64 edition is to offer the same desktop features as the Main edition but in a 64 bits environment. We received a lot of requests to support the X86_64 architecture (commonly referred to as “amd64″) and we’ve [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=310

Bug reports: http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 43&t=17276

Help us spread the word about this release (if you have a digg account): http://digg.com/linux_unix/Linux_Mint_5 ... 1_released

Note: Please use the comments section of the blog announcement to leave feedback.
big_dog1968

Re: Elyssa x64 RC1 released

Post by big_dog1968 »

I am burning the disk as I type. One question though. I have never run a 64 bit OS. For 32 bit, I have been setting the swap size at 2 gig, to go with the 2 gig of physical memory I have for 4 gig total.

What is the recommended swap size for the 64 bit version?

btw: K3B reported an error on verification, but when I made a copy of the newly burned disk and checked the generated iso against the md5 online it matched. I should be okay right?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

On my 32 bit system I let the installer set my swap size. I have 1 GB of RAM and it set my swap as 2.9 GB. The only time I have ever seen any swap space used ever is after the disk check at start up and even then it only uses 1.9 KB, so 2 GB sounds reasonable to me. Personally, I would just let the installer handle the swap.

As far as K3b reporting an error goes, that is a judgment call you will have to make. I get errors with Brasero if I burn DVD iso files to disk and there is nothing wrong with the disk. If I use the default Gnome burning application I do not get any errors. There are bug reports for issues with Brasero and K3b and threads keep popping up on the Ubuntu forums about this problem. Did you burn the disk at the slowest speed? Often that is the answer to this problem. When I suspect that there is nothing wrong with the disk I burned, I try running the Live CD for a while, if everything seems fine then the disk is probably alright. Really the only thing you can do is to try burning the iso to disk again using the slowest possible speed.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi,

It's a K3b version 1.0.4 bug inherited from Kubuntu 8.04/8.0.4.1
You may ignore the message - data recorded on cd isn't the same as the original
Don't ask for K3b version 1.0.4 to verify data burned to disk
Just burn the iso to disk - low speed as possible and wait for success .
This message itself it's a fake!

Cheers
Roberto
Last edited by Rob Brill on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
naesa

Post by naesa »

Is there a date planned for this to go 1.0 or is it more like a "when it's stable enough"-scenario?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It's more like a "when it's stable enough" scenario. It usually takes 2 weeks.

Clem
johnFrance

Post by johnFrance »

Clem,

It's great that Linux Mint has an X64 version at last. I have down loaded the .iso file and installed it on a secondary machine of mine. It went through the installation process without a hitch, but when the computer was rebooted the bios informed me of a boot file failure and asked for the boot disc. The OS has been loaded onto my hard drive. Can you shed some light as to why Linux can't find the boot file?

Another hassle (with Linux Mint 5) I have had has been with loading Linux onto a secondary HD in my main computer. The primary HD has Vista Ultimate loaded. Is there an incompatibility between Vista & Linux Mint 5?

These problems have been quite disappointing considering I have Celena installed and it has run like a Swiss from day one.

Both of my machines are running Athlon 64's with 3 & 2GB of RAM respectively.

Has anyone else had any hassles like these?

Regards

John
lsayre
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lsayre »

linux mint 64-bit rc-1 does not recognize my shift key at all. i have an hp media center pc with an amd 64 bit processor.
jdog

Post by jdog »

This is working great ! Things seem quicker or snappier . One Problem though . When I try to minimize programs, they end up closing.
brando569

Post by brando569 »

im glad that a 64 bit version is being released, im assuming that this is the gnome version of elyssa. is there going to be a 64 bit kde version?
jallain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jallain »

Am I the only one that has a problem with the install failing? I get a grubinstallation returned a failure of code 1. The install quits and does not finish. Any ideas?
EloE

Post by EloE »

Oh yeah baby this ROCKS!! :!:
down8ve
Level 1
Level 1

Post by down8ve »

Clem,

I'm a normal user of linux-based systems, a guy who really enjoys a degree of "under-the-hood-ness" but wants to get his work done without hassles.

On my Pentium D/ ECS945G/ 1GB/ Nvidia system, this 64-bit version of Elyssa really, really works well. Thanks for putting this together for us. I have yet to find any flaws, save for gDesklets fails to launch. Another 64-bit Ubuntu, Ultimate Edition, is also quite good, but it has various issues that caused me to question the quality control employed during its development.

Thanks!
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

I just wish that right after Felicia x32 is released that Felicia's stepsister (x64) will be right behind her. Sadly this ugly step sister, Elyssa x64 ver is 6mos AFTER Elyssa x32 came out..ouch....oh well, cant complain, well a little. Mint still rocks....

darco
cathbard

Post by cathbard »

I've tested it with the 32 bit version back to back running on a 3.2G pentium core duo using the program I use that really requires as much horsepower that you can throw at it which is inkscape. With 4G of ram the 64 bit version rendered drawings that had quite a few blurs (that really requires a massive amount of calculations) in less than half the time as it's 32 bit sister. Using 4G makes it a fair test of the actual difference between the kernels themselves.
I then threw an extra 4G of ram into it which made the difference even more remarkable. Made it about half as fast again. The difference between the 64 bit and 32 bit kernels was greater than doubling the ram.
Basically, if you use things like inkscape on a 64 bit pc with a 32 bit kernel you need your head examined.
Last edited by cathbard on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
eddie

Post by eddie »

I have used Linux since it first popped its head up. I D/L today and was to say the least unimpressed. Elegance, where?
I D/L Puppy 4.1 and run it on a 1.5 embeded cpu with 1 gig of 667 ram, leaves Mint 64 for dead.
If you want 64 bit get the old and best Suse 10.2.
Khaavren

Post by Khaavren »

64 Bit installed on my HP dv9000z laptop (AMD 64 TL-60, NVIDIA geforce7600, BCM4312 wireless). Seems to be very "snappy", 3D Compiz works good. Battery drain less than the Windows XP-MC preinstalled. Problems encountered: Install must be done with wired Ethernet connected, otherwise cannot download fwcutter drivers. This was only on the hard drive install, the Live CD boot worked without any problems whatsoever. Caps Lock indicator light is inverted -- When light is lit, caps lock is off and vice versa. Built-in webcam not detected or installed, but I haven't tried to fix.
Khaavren

Post by Khaavren »

simta wrote:
Khaavren wrote: Built-in webcam not detected or installed, but I haven't tried to fix.
thats strange, you have a newer model of laptop to me, i have the HP DV6174ea and it detects my webcam fine, i didnt have to do any separate setting up. installed cheese and that took pics+video fine, and cam works in aMsn. i havent tried it in any other IM program.

also my wireless worked out of the box too, although think HP may have changed what wireless hardware is being used, doesnt seem to be a change for the better. ive only installed two distro's, first 32-bit hardy heron and then elyssa and both installs wireless worked without any setting up.
I have had some time to play with it today. First, the caps lock issue is dependent on the state when the system starts, if on then as described in my earlier post, if off, then normal operation (light on indicates caps lock enabled).

I haven't done much beyond a little reading about the webcam. It seems that HP uses two cameras, a RICOH and one for which I can't recall the name. I think mine is a RICOH. I haven't tried cheese and I might never. Webcam is not high on my list of needs.

Thanks for your reply.

K-
cathbard

Post by cathbard »

eddie wrote:I have used Linux since it first popped its head up. If you want 64 bit get the old and best Suse 10.2.
You've been using linux since it started and you are recommending a distro that signed the MS patent deal??? Sounds to me like after all these years you haven't grasped the core concept; it's about escaping corporate bullying, not selling out to it. With one greedy stroke Novell legitimised MS's bs scare tactics regarding patents - patents that shouldn't even exist in the first place let alone be relevant to the FOSS community. I wouldn't touch Suse if it made me breakfast and mowed the lawn and neither should anybody else that values freedom.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I wouldn't touch Suse if it made me breakfast and mowed the lawn and neither should anybody else that values freedom.
Well that depends... are we talking cereals or full Irish breakfast? :wink:

Clem
PS: An ISO was uploaded today. If Exploder is happy with it we'll be looking at a stable release sometime this week.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”