Mint Menu and Windows button?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lakehousetech
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mint Menu and Windows button?

Post by lakehousetech »

If you go to system:preferences:keyboard you can choose your specific keyboard under the 'layouts' tab. Once you choose the correct keyboard select 'layout options' at the bottom right of the window. Under 'Alt/Win behavior' change the selection from 'default' to 'add the standard behavior to menu key'. Close the window, and then go to: system:preferences:keyboard shortcuts. Where it says "show the panel menu" click and press the windows key on your keyboard. It should enter the 'Super L' text into the shortcut column. Then you should be good to go. Hope this helps!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikemaccana

Post by mikemaccana »

The instructions above do not activate the Mint menu in the panel.

Instead, they only make a second Gnome menu appear where the cursor is (ie, the middle of the screen) when you click the Windows key.
The MintMenu is not activated at all.

Is there a working fix for this?
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Whatever the fix is, I think it should be included in Mint 6 by default. Stuff like this can really make the difference for Windows switchers and its not like it will get in the way of old school Linux users either.
timh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by timh »

mikemaccana wrote:The instructions above do not activate the Mint menu in the panel.

Instead, they only make a second Gnome menu appear where the cursor is (ie, the middle of the screen) when you click the Windows key.
The MintMenu is not activated at all.
Is there a working fix for this?
This menu that appear is the same as the MintMenu. With the keyboard [←↓↑→] you can use it real fast :)
and it is allways in the foreground for easy use.
I like it :D ... and sorry for my “not so nice” English
venkat

Post by venkat »

I tried this and am also only getting the Gnome Menu - not Mint Menu.
cerebellum

Post by cerebellum »

I am using the final release of Linux Mint 7 and I can't seem to launch the menu using the windows key.. anything that I should set?
timh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by timh »

cerebellum wrote:I am using the final release of Linux Mint 7 and I can't seem to launch the menu using the windows key.. anything that I should set?
right click on the menu and preferences. On the first tab look for shortcut
there should be: Super_L
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

This was one of the changes made to the RC: the default key is now ctrl+Super
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=31550 you have to logout and login to load the changes
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Just a little note to say that this was implemented in Mint 7. In the RC, it was simply Super_L (left Windows key), but since Gnome-Do also uses that key and it's also a common key used for combo shortcuts, for the stable release of Mint 7 it was changed to CTRL+Super_L. You can change this by going in the Preferences for mintMenu. Make sure to restart mintMenu after that (either remove/add it to the panel again, or logout).

Clem.
buddhaflow

Post by buddhaflow »

The question I have is this. Why can't I bind combinations that involve the Super key? I am migrating over from CrunchBang (well, using both of them), and my favorite feature of that is being able to bind Super+W to firefox, Super+F to the home folder, etc. I just find it much more clunky to use ctrl+shift+w. Is there any workaround for this?
mDuo13

Post by mDuo13 »

buddhaflow wrote:The question I have is this. Why can't I bind combinations that involve the Super key? I am migrating over from CrunchBang (well, using both of them), and my favorite feature of that is being able to bind Super+W to firefox, Super+F to the home folder, etc. I just find it much more clunky to use ctrl+shift+w. Is there any workaround for this?
I was having a similar issue to that - Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts would not (and still won't) let me bind things using Super as a modifier - it would just detect the button as Super_L (or Super_R) regardless of what other buttons I pressed. I tried disabling the Ctrl+Super shortcut for the MintMenu (as I don't care to use it) and it didn't take effect... until I restarted X (Ctrl+Alt+Backspace). After that, the Firefox shortcut I made in the "Commands" plugin of Compiz Config Settings Manager also worked. So the Gnome "Keyboard Shortcuts" thing still won't let me set shorcuts including Super, but Compiz will so it's all good.

For anyone with problems like mine, hopefully this is useful information?
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

clem wrote:...You can change this by going in the Preferences for mintMenu. Make sure to restart mintMenu after that (either remove/add it to the panel again, or logout).
Forgive me for hijacking the thread here, but where exactly can I find Preferences for mintMenu?
Uncle Spellbinder

Post by Uncle Spellbinder »

Uncle Spellbinder wrote:...where exactly can I find Preferences for mintMenu?
Nevermind. I'm really out of it today. Must be the turkey. Right click the icon. :oops:

Return to “Software & Applications”