Ubuntu Dependancy?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Ubuntu Dependancy?

Post by JAK »

I have never been a big fan of the Gnome desktop until I tried LinuxMint. Actually, I'm still not a fan of Gnome, but I do like the MintMenu a lot. It's a much improved version of the SuSe menu which I find annoying. The developer has done a great service to Gnome to make a die-hard KDE user like me take notice.

Anyway, here's my question; I realize Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu, but how dependent is Mint on Ubuntu releases? What I mean is, can Mint stand on its own without following the tail of Ubuntu or does Mint rely entirely on the Ubuntu code?

In case you haven't noticed, I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu either.... it's a Gnome thing. :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

gnome roxx0rrr!! j00 suckzz!!

;)

but seriously, its quit dependant on ubuntu for repositorys and such, but then, so is kubuntu and thats not gnome based at all.
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

hairy_Palms wrote:gnome roxx0rrr!! j00 suckzz!!

;)

but seriously, its quit dependant on ubuntu for repositorys and such, but then, so is kubuntu and thats not gnome based at all.
I just reinstalled Bianca to give it another go. My main desktop has been PCLinuxOS but I'm not committing myself to any one particular distro at the moment. I just noticed during an update that Mint gets its updates from Ubuntu, so that pretty much answers my question.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

That's because I'm a die-hard KDE fan myself :) If I was to use Gnome it had to be a good desktop :)

Anyway.. back to your question. The real answer will come when Feisty gets released. So far we've based Barbara on Edgy. Then Bea was based on Barbara with Edgy repos... Bianca based on Bea with Edgy repos... so in other words we went on forking away from Edgy but we're still using its packages.

One thing is for sure: when Feisty goes gold Cassandra will use its repositories. Now the real question is: Will Cassandra be based on Bianca (90% chances) or will it be rebased on Feisty ?

It's some kind of a loose coupling between Mint and Ubuntu. Most packages come from their repositories so that means all releases are tied to an Ubuntu branch.. but we're not necessarily tied to their release cycle. For instance, we could release Cassandra before Feisty comes out... it really depends on what Ubuntu brings with their new release and how interested we are in merging with their new features.

Clem
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

clem wrote:
One thing is for sure: when Feisty goes gold Cassandra will use its repositories. Now the real question is: Will Cassandra be based on Bianca (90% chances) or will it be rebased on Feisty ?

Clem
Do I detect another release coming soon? Cassandra? :D

I appreciate your answer as it does make me understand a little better how much Mint relies on Ubuntu. Hopefully Ubuntu won't go away anytime soon because Mint is one very fine distro and I would hate to see if fall by the way-side just because Ubuntu stops development. I'm not predicting anything here, just speculating on possibilities.

As I mentioned in my previous post; I reloaded Bianca and find myself very attracted to "her". I never figured myself for a Gnome person until now. I had Bianca loaded once before but I had to do some disk repartitioning, etc... so I wiped the slate clean. I have been using PCLinuxOS which is another fine distro focused on the KDE desktop. As far as I'm concerned both are very well done and it would be extremely difficult to make a final decision which one to stick with. I use WinXP for most of my software-related activities, but for internet usage I use Linux. I would like to eventually drop most of the WinXP activities down to just a couple of programs or all together. I wish these software vendors would get off their butts and make a Linux version.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, and if your looking for another exotic name with the same sort of sound, "Monica" & "Ariana" might suite you for future releases. That's my daughter and my niece respectively. :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

If chosen, "Monica" would correspond to Linux Mint 13.4.. so we're not there yet :) As for "Ariana" I'm afraid it's a bit too late... we're heading for the "C"s :)

Clem
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

clem wrote:If chosen, "Monica" would correspond to Linux Mint 13.4.. so we're not there yet :) As for "Ariana" I'm afraid it's a bit too late... we're heading for the "C"s :)

Clem
Aaaah. I see what you're doing. I've never seen such a naming scheme before. That's pretty slick!

I look forward to seeing Cassandra. :)
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

if its any consolation, i run feisty as my primary system, (yea i know its alpha etc ;) but all the mint software works on it, with the exception of mintconfig due to a problem with python 2.5 (although i must confess i havent tried mintwifi seeing as i use good old fashioned cables ;))
telic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by telic »

if its any consolation, i run feisty as my primary system
I've just installed Feisty on a spare HDD partition. It was rather nasty in the way it has sabotaged my Mint installation.

When the Feisty GRUB launches Mint, I see Bianca's splash screen for a couple of seconds, but then I find myself in text mode at a root prompt. How rude, and a breach of security.

Being a Linux n00b, I knew not how to repair the situation. But, having gone through numerous distro installs, I instinctively typed /etc/init.d/gdm start, which launched the familiar GUI. However, immediately after my login, Bianca repeatedly complained of not being able to initiate HAL.

I don't know who this Hal fella is, but Bianca seems able to carry on without him. The NetworkManager applet is AWOL, which means I get Internet access without having to first click for a connection. I shall one day discover how to get Firestarter to start up without my (manual) intervention.

Feisty Firefox is better multimedia aware, automatically finding and installing the Flash plugin when needed -- something that even MS Windows Firefox doesn't always get right. Feisty Firefox recognizes WMV as a video file format, even when it doesn't have the codec to play it. After I manually install the codecs and their agents, Feisty Firefox is better multimedia-integrated than Dapper and Edgy.

There are other aspects of this deeper level of AI that I actually dislike, much as I dislike the meddling and nagging AI in MS Windows.

Overall, Ubuntu Feisty helps change the Linux landscape for the better, at an opportune time (Microsoft has shot itself in the arse with Vista).

Methinks the Mint desktop looks much sharper than the native Ubuntu, so Bianca stays.

----

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”