Epson Stylus 680 completely blocks OS when printing (SOLVED)

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
angelbiotec

Epson Stylus 680 completely blocks OS when printing (SOLVED)

Post by angelbiotec »

Hello

I'm writing to post a problem I could not find a solution for. I have an Epson Stylus Color 680. I successfully installed it (mint perfectly recognized it and installed the free drivers) but the fact is that when I try to print something, the whole OS gets blocked -it's like a kernel panic but with no message- (I can't even reset it by ALT+ImprPant+ R E I S U B). I just click on the print icon and it blocks (it happens with printing test, pdf docs., .odt, pics....) is this a bug?? If it is, can you please tell me how to fix it? If not, what can I do to solve it??

Thanks you!!

P.S. Before installing Mint I used to have both Debian and Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon and the printer perfectly worked under both. At the moment Linux Mint 5.0 is my only operating system.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Epson Stylus 680 completely blocks OS when printing

Post by Husse »

Check the forum for Epson at OpenPrinting
http://forums.openprinting.org/list.php?26
angelbiotec

Post by angelbiotec »

Already checked, I cannot find a way to make it work... perhaps I can try patching the driver but lots of time seem to be needed and unfortunately I cannot afford it. Anyway if you happen to find a solution, please tell me. Thank you!

P.S. I tried installing the drivers available at the OpenPrinting web, it didn't work (the drivers might be the same than the ones included in Elyssa)
Husse

Post by Husse »

OK so the computer locks up under printing - what happens when the printing is done?
And is this a USB printer? (I guess so, but...)
angelbiotec

Post by angelbiotec »

The printing is never done, it blocks everything at he moment I press "print" button. Anyway it was connected to a paralell port so I tried connecting it via USB and now it works perfectly!! Thanks for you help!
Husse

Re: Epson Stylus 680 completely blocks OS when printing (SOLVED)

Post by Husse »

The parallel port is excruciatingly slow and your system may simply have been blocked because the parallel port could not accept data fast enough
I'm glad you added solved to the subject line :)

Return to “Hardware Support”