KDE 4.1.2 is out

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rec9140

Re: KDE 4.1.2 is out

Post by rec9140 »

ronnoc wrote: I think 4.2 will probably be the release a lot of KDE fans jump ship from KDE 3.x.
Nope, not here.

4.x > /dev/null

When they get the back in the box, use the crayons inside the lines and quit being a viscrapta wannabe, let me know.

I love KDE, but not 4.x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

:lol: :lol:

Aside from using a dark theme for the default look of KDE how is it trying to be Vista? Any similarities it shows to Vista are just factors of them both being an OS in the year 2008.

6 months from now when KDE4 has matured some more you will be able to customise it to look exactly like ugly KDE3 if you like, as well as behave in the same way, and then what is there to stop you adopting it? If you cant see the benefits of the new underlining code in KDE4 then frankly you either don't know anything about KDE4 or are just in denial, it is an infinitely more powerful, more robust, more modern system (it just needs time to mature). Frankly it puts GNOME to shame in terms of the underlining technology.

But you know what is most ironic about your statement? I feel like KDE4 is the first time in years Linux has actually contributed anything new to the desktop. Stuff like there not being a desktop folder which is displayed on the desktop, but instead you embedded any number of folders as widgets, stuff that like is revolutionary and 5 years from now every other OS and desktop will have copied that feature.

I think the problem is:

A. People got burnt by a really buggy first release of KDE4 and they refuse to let it go and continue to have this grudge against it.
B. People hate change, and in the same way you read loads of idiots dissing Office 2007's interface even though it is clearly better than than Office 2003, you also get people dissing KDE4 for trying to improve things.
C. People seem to think it's cool to hate on KDE at the moment.
Eddie G. Wilson

Post by Eddie G. Wilson »

People do have several choices when it comes to Kde 4.x.x.

1: They can evolve and adopt Kde 4.x.x.
2: They can switch to another desktop manager.
3: They can switch to MS Windows.

When a person uses something for so long they find it hard to change. The main reason is because they have to learn something new. People fight against that. I used Gnome for years and then I checked out LInuxMint 5 KDE CE. This if the first Kde distro that I've found that I don't mind using. I love the way its set up. I'm sure that LinuxMint with Kde 4.x.x will be great and I look forward to it. A person should never stop learning new things. :mrgreen:

Eddie
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

Sometimes it's just a question of personal preferences. Over about a year and a half I've used KDE and Gnome in about 20 different distros. I liked KDE better when I was just starting out with Linux because it's true it makes moving from windows easier. As I learned more about Linux and overcame my dislike of the CLI I found Gnome is just as easy to use.

As I learn more Linux commands the desktop I use seems to be redundant. From 1883 to 1994 all I used was DOS. I didn't complain about getting windows in 1994 though. I was happy I didn't have to type so much anymore.

When I first starting using Ubuntu last year I hated Gnome so I installed KDE into Ubuntu. Over time I discovered I liked Gnome better. KDE reminds me too much of windows now. KDE is too hard edged and business-like. Gnome is like a teddy bear and Ubuntus' warm hues make it perfect for me.

I don't believe people that like or use Gnome or Xfce or Fluxbox are stupid nor do I believe people who use other desktops hate KDE 4. Everyone's different and has different needs or likes or dislikes. The world is a richer place because of diversity. I mean, we don't all want to use windows do we?

And I'm always learning new things. Just today I learned how to write my own name.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

'Hard edged' is definitely NOT how I would describe the new KDE 4 - I've been using it in Mandriva 2009 for the last few days and am loving it. Before that I was a staunch Gnome supporter, but this just looks like it is the way forward. I recommend trying that OS to check it out.

Return to “Software & Applications”