Mandriva Linux One 2009

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
badmotor

Mandriva Linux One 2009

Post by badmotor »

Anyone tried it yet? just downloaded it, once I've finished what I'm doing on my PC here I'll be loading it up to check it out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
badmotor

Re: Mandriva Linux One 2009

Post by badmotor »

I just had a quick peek, and was quite impressed - connected to the internet off the live CD (first time that Mandriva has done that for me), and got a few widgets running on the screen. Had some Garfield cartoons running there, and a widget that showed the phases of the moon. Only used it for a few minutes though, and I am a Gnome guy at heart, but seemed to find my way around the new KDE alright.

Would like to hear some feedback from people. I might throw it on my laptop to try it out properly.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Tried both Kde and gnome lite versions as a live CD on my wifes Sony laptop and it was the ONLY distro to find and connect to the internet via the wireless pmcia card - RT61 chip - in live CD mode. Vey impressed by this as Daryna, Elyssa, Ubuntu 8.04, Fedora 9/10 have failed to do this.
The only drawback from live CD viewpoint was that no printer config available or samba on default live CD.
I may install alongside her windows XP so that she can get a feel for Linux - her windows gets slower and slower despite re-installs - so whats new !
Also wouldn't shutdown/reboot computer at end of live session, but thats nothing really.
Overall looks a good implementation of Kde4 - I have a soft spot for mandriva as I first dipped my toe in the Linux world with Mandrake 10.1, but have been shy of trying an rpm based distro again after messes made with Fedora 4 and 5 - deb distros seem my most comfortable place to be, but maybe mandriva 2009 will change that ?
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

I like what I've seen of KDE 4.1 so far. Definitely moving forwards - have had trouble installing codecs though, couldn't get PLF repo working properly...
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

... and my wireless was working out of the box! I'm officially impressed.
choupique

Post by choupique »

badmotor wrote:... and my wireless was working out of the box! I'm officially impressed.
I gave the 2009.0 KDE-4.1 live cd a spin on our main family pc this afternoon (Dell E510, pentD, 2g-667ram, Belkin usb wireless). Everything I tried worked perfectly. Wireless setup couldn't have been easier. It was all I could do to not wipe wife's XP from the face of the Earth :!:
I would imagine the reviews will be very good for Mandriva with this release. I do hope Kubuntu's 4.1 works as well as this when it's released at the end of the month.
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

Does anyone know if 2009 can play m4v video files with sound? I could never get m4v files to play with sound in 2008. With Mint they play with sound out of the box.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

LinuxForever wrote:Does anyone know if 2009 can play m4v video files with sound? I could never get m4v files to play with sound in 2008. With Mint they play with sound out of the box.
Will have to try that myself. I will let you know.
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

Thanks badmotor. The m4v files I tried playing were the Hubblecast files I downloaded with Miro.
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

LinuxForever wrote:Thanks badmotor. The m4v files I tried playing were the Hubblecast files I downloaded with Miro.
Found a .m4v movie and played it fine - this was with VLC (which is my default player), which I installed myself which has all the relevant codecs of course. I couldn't get it to play with any of the standard players though (Dragon, Totem). VLC is the answer. :D
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

VLC seems to be the answer to a lot of things. Thanks for your help badmotor.
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi guys,

I think i am going to wait for the next release of Mandriva Linux 2009. I mean 2009.1
to take a good look at it. Didn't you read the news around did you? Many bugs will be
fixed by updates. I will not change from Debian That' s why i am a Debian User.
I can wait, wait, wait for a new version. It does not matter much to me. I t can be
tomorrow, the day after tomorrow or next year because i am sure the system is reliable
stable and well tested. About the packages out dated i can run another reliable
distribuition , for instance Linux Mint with a good stability and 6x6 cicle releases.

Well, Mandriva Linux indeed it is a good Linux distribuition. For those who wants
to try or run it's ok. ...just a thought: 2009,1 is coming very soon.

Cheers :wink:
Roberto
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Best implementation of KDE 4.X so far!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psycosmyth »

I can only echo what has been said. Kde4 in M09 is nice and I have been critical of 4 lately. I have also tried the Gnome version, nice too. Those guys have a knack for good distros.
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Personally, I liked Mandriva 2008 better.

2009 gave me a few problems, but I'm pretty sure they were specific to my hardware.

Gotta agree with zwopper, though. Best implementation of KDE4

Return to “Chat about Linux”