KDE4 Suggestions and New Ideas

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

KDE4 Suggestions and New Ideas

Post by Boo »

Checkout the Suggestions and New Ideas section to give your KDE4 input.

Boo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
changturkey

Re: KDE4 Suggestions and New Ideas

Post by changturkey »

4.2/4.3 is the sweet spot. I tested Amarok2 and it is great.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Boo, take a look at the Lancelot menu system. It's *very* nice, unless you plan on writing new menu's from scratch. I read a review of KDE4 where they said when it came time to decide on menu's, only Suse had a complete system so the devs picked theirs to be default. Lancelot are way better though.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Install Fusion-icon (via synaptic) and run it, then Reload Window Manager and compiz should be running. Then you can modify all your Emerald settings (install Emerald if it's not installed, I forget) to get whichever Emerald theme appeals to you.
dafi

Post by dafi »

I don't think that you have to install fusion to change the icons. I think you could change them in the control center, can't you???
(sry no kde4.2 here only 3.5)
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Maybe, but there's no option that jumps out at me saying "click me! click me!". Installing fusion-icon and having it load automatically gives you options right from the taskbar -- no searching required.
Pito

Post by Pito »

Yeah, I think that KDE menu is a nightmare and that Freddy Krueger is inside the code of this non-sense menu.
I agree with locutus, lancilot is better, but i love the mint menu: easy, clear and usefull.
If is not possible to have the mint menu in kde i vote for lancilot.

Pito
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Pito wrote:Yeah, I think that KDE menu is a nightmare and that Freddy Krueger is inside the code of this non-sense menu.
I agree with locutus, lancilot is better, but i love the mint menu: easy, clear and usefull.
If is not possible to have the mint menu in kde i vote for lancilot.

Pito
I agree on both counts, in that same order!
Resistance [to Linux] is futile.
anthony2010

Post by anthony2010 »

Hi boo.

ok, Ive been running this mint 6 KDE since it came out and to all intents and purposes it runs really well, so much so, I do not envisage using another os on this desktop machine. Its that good.

Ive been thinking about what I use my windows laptop ( other machine) for. I only use it for things I -as yet- cannot do with Linux. They are:

1) Connect my Nokia 6680 or my Motorola V70 mobile phones so that i can add / remove media from those and

2) Connect a samsung yp-q1 mp3 / 4 player and do the same.

I tend to buy most of my music online and it just bugs me a bit that I have to use windows to put the purchased music on the player! With KDE I see an opportunity to place before the public one sexy, good looking and extremely useful O/S. It is my belief that appealing to 'Geekdom' with Linux is no longer valid. This operating system, whilst in beta, is practicaly ready to go but I think we need to think a little about younger users who enjoy music on their players. In fact digital media / device compatibility is probably the only thing missing. I have a young son and we are always out with the digicam making stupid movies but they mean a lot to us and it would be so cool to take those movies off my desktop and put them on the player.

I loathe banging on about what this O/S doesn't do, especially when one considers how well it does all other things! Im just thinking ahead with respects to actually unleashing an o/s so people really, truly have a choice. Until every aspect of the MS o/s is covered, we will stay behind. The philosophy behind everything Linux holds true but as yet we appear to be just one or two small steps away from a really valid alternative. Device support I feel needs to be given some thought.

Thanks for every brilliant everything thus far!

Anthony.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Those with the ppa repo enabled will find KDE 4.2.2 is now in it.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Return to “Software & Applications”