Second splash screen?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Second splash screen?

Post by Imagus »

Hi all,

I have searched the forums for questions about the boot splash screen, but could not find an answer to my particular problem:

When Mint (Elyssa) starts up, I get a nice splash screen with a green bar that goes back and forth. A few seconds later however, I get a screen full of messages like loading hardware drivers, setting system clock etc.. If I'm not mistaken, my previous version of Mint did not show these messages, but instead showed another splash screen (with an increasing green bar). Is there any way I can get this second splash screen back in Elyssa? I have unchecked the option "show text during boot" in the startupmanager, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

Also, what does "Splashy not detected" mean? Does this have something to do with it?

Thank you for any help.
Imagus.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Second splash screen?

Post by Husse »

Have you installed startupmanager?
"Splashy not detected" means exactly what it says, but splashy is not default in Mint. I think it is included in startupmanager and it is indeed some splash screen
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

Yes, I have startupmanager installed, isn't that default in Mint? (Could be that I installed it myself, can't remember...)
Anyway, I see now that there's another tab with an unchecked option "use background image for bootloader menu", I didn't notice that before. Unfortunately I cannot check it because there doesn't seem to be any images available. I can add some though. Now I just need to find the splash screen... is it somewhere on the original installation disk? I'll take a look at it later.

Thank you.
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Imagus »

Well, I just tried every trick I know, but unfortuntaly nothing seems to bring back the splash screen. I have tried every possible combination of installing/removing usplash, splashy and startupmanager, but to no avail. What's even worse, I now have also lost the shutdown splash screen, so it's all text for me now when booting or shutting down the computer. Everything else still works fine though, so I guess I cannot really complain. Still, the Mint splash screens were kind of nice to look at.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You're not alone :)
For some reason I have not had time to figure out I've lost the splash screens except for the time the "thing"* goes back and forth
* Don't know what to call it in any language...
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zombie »

I have the same problem. After resizing and moving my partitions, I lost the second splash screen exactly as Imagus describes.
Not a big deal, but it wold be nice to get fixed....
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Husse wrote: ...the "thing"* goes back and forth
* Don't know what to call it in any language...
Progress bar or status bar maybe!? :wink: - Eller "förloppsindikator" eller "aktivitetsindikator"! :wink: :wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Husse

Post by Husse »

Well I had some time left and solved this the other week
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=18591

Return to “Installation & Boot”