Ubuntu 8.10

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mmesantos1

Ubuntu 8.10

Post by mmesantos1 »

I have been Beta testing 8.10 and I must say this will be a good release. I can't wait to see what Clem and his group are going to do with it! I installed 8.04.1 and upgraded it to 8.10 and after the reboot everything worked. Sound, Video, Compiz, Emerald and Avant. I then installed all the Codecs and other non-free packages and it works great. Not bad for a Beta. So the Mint guys should have no problem getting Mint 6 up and running. I was excited to see when installing the Beta CD when it was first released that it migrated data from my Vista install. There is a lot of new things in this release. Here is a screen shot of my desktop so you can see what can be done with this Beta encase you have not installed it yet.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mmesantos1

Re: Ubuntu 8.10

Post by mmesantos1 »

Got rid of Panels and using AWN for everything.
Last edited by mmesantos1 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Interesting - the reports I've seen is "near total disaster"
How recent is this experience?
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

I upgraded 8.04 to 8.10 last night and then ran more updates today. Aside from a few crashes with Avant which were specific to certain applets I have had no show stopping issues. I did not even have to reinstall the proprietary ATI driver after doing the upgrade. I had more issues from the Alphas but the Beta has run really well for me at least. When running the system with the default Compiz packages I did not have any issues. It was not until I installed Avant. This seems to be were my issues have come from. But again they have been minor things. Avant itself still runs and the applets that the system shows as crashing are still running after the error message. I have been reporting the bugs via the bug reporting tool and have gotten e-mail when the fix was released for that issue.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

After a couple hundred updates< Intrepid is starting to look pretty decent.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

exploder wrote:After a couple hundred updates< Intrepid is starting to look pretty decent.

I agree Exploder it did take allot of updates to get to this point. And like you said it is turning out to be a good release. :) Also the more bugs they fix now the less the Mint team has to worry about! :)
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Looks like this should be decent. Hopefully it should be better than Hardy, which I feel was rushed onto the shelves, and was the main reason I moved to Mint.

Just a question, how useful is the tabbing in Nautilus? Is it worth having? Or a barely used feature?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The tabs in Nautilus did not seem that useful to me but I am not used to working with them yet. I mainly noticed that usplash was fixed and the system was considerably more stable than a week ago. Many of us that are testing are pushing to get things fixed that have been messed up for the last couple of releases. If you look in "Sessions" you will notice a lot of familiar workarounds for bugs that have been present for the last few releases. There is still time to work out some of the remaining bugs before the final release.
Guestman

Post by Guestman »

The tabs in Nautilus are useful, very handy. PCManFM for exemple had already tabs since a long time. Nautilus was late. :wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I have to admit that Ubuntu 8.10 is really looking good now. I have 8.10 installed on a test machine and was able to get all multimedia working in minutes. I installed Flash 10 right from the deb package from Adobe's site and it just works. The progress bar no longer jumps back and forth on start up and the splash now works after changing gdm themes. The dark theme that was added isn't half bad. I haven't had any crashes so far, memory use is a little higher but this could change by the time the final is released. Ubuntu might just pull off a good release this time.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Cool, sounds a lot better than Hardy was at its release, never mind its betas. I may try it out when it's released. On a virtual box though, I don't have any HDD space for another OS. :P
1cewolf

Post by 1cewolf »

I gave Intrepid a try and I'm really not very impressed. Maybe my standards are just too high, but I didn't see a whole lot of Ubuntu-specific progress being made. Don't get me wrong, Intrepid has a lot of great stuff to offer that we'll get to see in Elyssa, but I think most of it simply has to do with GNOME 2.24. Why doesn't Ubuntu have a new theme? Why are Preferences and Administration still a mess? What's with the barren-looking boot loader? Where is Ubuntu's answer(s) to Mint's advances?

It's good that the rest of you seem to like Intrepid, but I'm not going to rush out and upgrade my Mint partition to it any time soon.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

1cewolf, none of us are planning to run Intrepid. We are looking at what will influence Mint 6 from the Ubuntu base. Intrepid does have new artwork, it has the Darkroom theme and a new default wallpaper. Ubuntu uses an earthy sort of look, they want the artwork completely different from any other distribution.Intrepid does introduce a new System Cleaner and an option to create a usb startup disk. Ubuntu builds the kernel and more or less puts all of the pieces together to make a working system.

We use the Ubuntu repositories for the majority of our packages, gnome, kernel, etc, so it is important to us to know how things are working and how we might be affected. It is to our benefit to test Intrepid and report the bugs we find. I myself feel obligated to test Intrepid. I have reported a bug with "eject" and a bug with the new "Quick Search" in Synaptic. The Synaptic bug was resolved today. I joined the fight for a better default wallpaper for Intrepid, they changed it! The new wallpaper looks much better than the hideous circles crap they had. (No one should have to look at crap like that and my Dad uses Ubuntu.)

I try and picture Intrepid with all of the Mint goodness. Intrepid controls our hardware base so it is very important to know it's strengths and weaknesses.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Well said that man! :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Interesting information about joysticks in Intrepid.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=953639
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

exploder wrote:1cewolf, none of us are planning to run Intrepid. We are looking at what will influence Mint 6 from the Ubuntu base. Intrepid does have new artwork, it has the Darkroom theme and a new default wallpaper. Ubuntu uses an earthy sort of look, they want the artwork completely different from any other distribution.Intrepid does introduce a new System Cleaner and an option to create a usb startup disk. Ubuntu builds the kernel and more or less puts all of the pieces together to make a working system.

We use the Ubuntu repositories for the majority of our packages, gnome, kernel, etc, so it is important to us to know how things are working and how we might be affected. It is to our benefit to test Intrepid and report the bugs we find. I myself feel obligated to test Intrepid. I have reported a bug with "eject" and a bug with the new "Quick Search" in Synaptic. The Synaptic bug was resolved today. I joined the fight for a better default wallpaper for Intrepid, they changed it! The new wallpaper looks much better than the hideous circles crap they had. (No one should have to look at crap like that and my Dad uses Ubuntu.)

I try and picture Intrepid with all of the Mint goodness. Intrepid controls our hardware base so it is very important to know it's strengths and weaknesses.

I like the way to said that Exploder! I am now Beta testing the Kubuntu since it is now based off KDE4.1, much better experience than KDE4. And what you said about beta testing for the betterment of Mint is they very reason I started this Topic. Thanks for explaining that to 1cewolf. :)
And also thanks for getting the wallpaper changed, it was not pleasant to look at. :)
mmesantos1

Re: Ubuntu 8.10 RC Screenshots

Post by mmesantos1 »

Screenshot of Ubuntu 8.10 RC. Just a heads up, not using ATI Proprietary driver.
Last edited by mmesantos1 on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Just out of curiosity, what was the old Intrepid wallpaper? Was it the circles going out in a spiral like an Ibex horn?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Just out of curiosity, what was the old Intrepid wallpaper? Was it the circles going out in a spiral like an Ibex horn?
Yep, that was it. Man was that an ugly wallpaper.

Here is some information on bugs in Intrepid if anyone is interested.

001- CD-ROM tray opens and quickly closes on eject.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/280931

Gnome has "eject" buttons all over the place, (new feature) and Ubuntu puts out an RC with a bug like this!

There is a bug with screen savers also. I will have to find the bug report again... Screen savers will not stop from moving the mouse, you have to click the mouse or press a key on the keyboard to get the screen saver off. This one is pretty minor.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

weird i tried ubuntu 8.10 beta last few days and heres my experience

desktop

booted the cd and it just goes to the orange wallpaper and shows the mouse and it just stays there forever, i tried it on my vmware player and its working pretty fine hmm a bug maybe.

laptop

ok it work properly but still same issues my wireless still isnt detected in the hardware it says it is detected and already supported b ubuntu but why it isnt working?

some features doesnt impress me too much so ill just stick with mint and wait for mint 6
~cheers~

xnostradamusx

Return to “Chat about Linux”