Linux Mint 5 x64 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 5 x64 released!

Post by clem »

Linux Mint is proud to announce that Linux Mint 5 Elyssa is now available on AMD64 for 64 bit processors. In the future the x64 edition will be released at the same time as the Main and Light editions. The purpose of the x64 edition is to offer the same desktop features as the Main edition but in a 64 bit environment. It aims to be as similar to the Main edition as possible. [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=389

Re: Linux Mint 5 x64 Edition released!

Post by Guest »

DOWNLOADING IT AS I TYPE THIS

HAVE BEEN USING MINT SINCE BIANCA AND JUST BUILT A 64BIT SYSTEM THIS WEEK
WILL INSTALL IT TONIGHT WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK
Bill Auclair

Post by Bill Auclair »

Probably a dumb question, but....

Does this new 64-bit distribution support Intel 64 / EMT64 processor architecture, or is it limited to AMD only? If not, is an Intel 64 version anticipated?

Thanks
-Bill A.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Yes. It's the same architecture. We commonly refer to it as amd64 because it came from AMD originally, but the real name is X86_64. It work on all X64_86 processors (Core 2 Duo, Athlon 64... etc, basically almost all 64bit processors sold for PC).

For more information on X86_64: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Clem
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Will there be a KDE 64bit soon??
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

No, all community editions will only support one architecture: i386.

Clem.
NWAdawg

Post by NWAdawg »

Just finished installing it, ITS SWEET!
earthpig

Post by earthpig »

im downloading from the torrent at ~575 kb/s sustained... i highly recommend the torrent :)

6% done in the time it took me to make this reply to the thread

edit: lol i think i jinxed it and one of the seeders left.... im down to 300 kb/s :(
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

I am not sure if this is the place to post these problems, but I didn't see a place on the board devoted to Mint 64 and the first two relate specifically to 64, the third may be more of a Compiz quirk (not sure).
A few issues with Mint 64:
1. When I click quit from the start menu, the shut down dialog box does not appear unless I manually close the start menu.
2. The menu does not automatically close when I select a program (related to above issue).
3. Compiz causes flicker when playing back video. Video works fine if Compiz disabled. Any way for them to coexist?

Other than that, very fast!
earthpig

Post by earthpig »

big_dog1968 wrote:3. Compiz causes flicker when playing back video. Video works fine if Compiz disabled. Any way for them to coexist?

Other than that, very fast!
what are you playing video in? tried different programs? the only conflict i have had (using Ubuntu virgin, as opposed to mint) with compiz is with google earth.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

big_dog1968: Check the settings for compiz especially the ones related to focus. My current installation is in French and I can't remember the name of the option.. but it's to do with grabbing the focus and it should be set to "None".

earthpig: We're boosting the torrent directly from the server via DHT. I've seen it go at speeds like 10MB/s (less than 2 minutes for a 700MB download). It's part of our revised release process (I'm documenting this at the moment) and it's there at least until 100 people fully grab the ISO via torrent. After that, we may continue to give it a push but we also want the community to seed it by itself.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

clem wrote:big_dog1968: Check the settings for compiz especially the ones related to focus. My current installation is in French and I can't remember the name of the option.. but it's to do with grabbing the focus and it should be set to "None".
I tried swe4dreis link to the Ubuntu forum and the advice there worked. I don't know if it accomplished the same thing you suggested but whatever it did worked.

I am still having the first two problems listed below. The preferences for the menu don't allow you to tell it to automatically close after a menu item is clicked. Any ideas?
Big_Dog1968 wrote:1. When I click quit from the start menu, the shut down dialog box does not appear unless I manually close the start menu.
2. The menu does not automatically close when I select a program (related to above issue).
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

My solution was for 1 and 2... it does close when you click an item. This is a problem with Compiz not playing nice and grabbing focus...
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Focus and Raise under General settings?
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

clem wrote:My solution was for 1 and 2... it does close when you click an item. This is a problem with Compiz not playing nice and grabbing focus...
The only setting I found in the "advanced desktop effects settings" that had the word focus in it was "trail focus" and that was already disabled. I completely disabled Compiz and it still does not close when I click a menu Item. I have to then click somewhere outside the menu. With the shut down dialog box, it does not appear unless you click outside the menu. Again I tested this after switching desktop effects to "None", which disables compiz (I think), and it behaved the same way.
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

What is the main difference with 64bit? Is it faster? Does it do more things?
csat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csat »

I am also having the same issue with Mint 64 that sometimes doesn't allow me to power off unless I go to terminal and instruct "sudo poweroff".
Another issue that happens from time to time is Firefox 3.0.3 that closes without being commanded to do this. I am alternatively using Opera.
Firefox 3.0.3 Java also doesn't behave as it should or like 32 bits. Asking to open graphic information regarding stock market it just says "start aplet and load aplet" but doesn't show the graph bar.
Thanks.
Cheers
csat
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MissileCop »

So far, so good. No problems with installation, and I haven't been able to break anything yet. Have had no problems with Firefox, video, or shutting down, as reported by others.

Amarok opens WAY faster on x64, than it does with 32-bit Elyssa. :shock: :D Took about a second and a half on x64, whereas it would take about 5 seconds with 32-bit Elyssa Gnome or XFCE on my system.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work on getting x64 released.

Oh, and thanks for all the extra work. Now I have to go fine tune my x64, and link to all of the partitions on my other drives. :x :mrgreen:
csat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csat »

vinoman wrote:What is the main difference with 64bit? Is it faster? Does it do more things?
Here, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765428, you can find a deeper explanation about differences regarding Ubuntu which, I believe, will not differ much from Mint.
Cheers
csat
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I've been using it for a few days now; there was a problem after installing and rebooting, but now it's gone and very smooth. I tried my own benchmark which consists of converting an .avi file to DVD format using DeVeDe. 32-bit did it in 31 minutes, 46 seconds, 64-bit 28 minutes, 3 seconds. Not a big improvement but still better. Generally, I was a little frustrated that I had 64-bit Desktop and Laptop computers, but had no 64-bit OS to run on them. Now I do. Good job!

One question: Ubuntu is just 9 days away from releasing 8.10. How far behind will Mint be with M6-x64? Should I install it on my laptop now? Or wait a few weeks and do M6 then?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”