How Difficult Must This Be? solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alligoodw

How Difficult Must This Be? solved

Post by alligoodw »

Comrades:

I believe this to be a simple problem with a simple solution. I have Linux Mint 5 installed on a HP laptop whose screen resolution is 1280x800 - it's a widescreen laptop. I installed startup-manager and it messed up my grub. The only problem I'm having is the fact that I can't seem to find my progress bar during the boot process - it has disappeared and I'm seeing text instead of the graphics display. All I need to know, after uninstalling startup-manager, the program that started this mess in the first place, is what do I need to do to get that graphical progress-bar image back? It's that simple! There has to be a simple solution to this problem.

What line in menu.lst controls this function and what should it be? How does screen resolution effect this behavior? My menu.lst is as follows:

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda6 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda6 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic

title Linux Mint, kernel memtest86+
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: How Difficult Must This Be?

Post by Husse »

It's not all that simple I'm afraid
Is it text all the way or do you see usplash at least a bit?
There is a bug (or something) that makes it disappear when it is to change from going back and forth to be a progress meter
I have it and so far I have not found out why
I think you can use the solution to change resolution in usplash to get it back
If you have a bit of knowledge you can try this
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... fs#p105370
I don't say it helps you - only that it might
alligoodw

Re: How Difficult Must This Be?

Post by alligoodw »

To be honest with you, I fixed the problem. It really was simple once I gave it some thought.

Using the Package Manager, I reinstalled the Linux-Mint Usplash. After that, I reinstalled Startup-Manager and selected the Linux-Mint usplash I had just installed. Rebooted the system and everything was fine. Why I hadn't thought of this before I'll never know. My progress bar has returned and everything is working as it should.

Take care buddy.

Return to “Installation & Boot”