Video problem on Toshiba 2180CDS solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Video problem on Toshiba 2180CDS

Post by Husse »

The error is
(EE) S3VIRGE
Absolutely :)
This is an old not very good graphics chip (unless it's being produced again, but I have not heard that)
It can be a bad CD - did you check the md5sum and burned as slow as possible?
Did you try compatibility mode? (Press any key during the count down right in the beginning)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I saw a thread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5517676, over at Ubuntu that mentioned something similar to your problem. I did a Google search on "(EE) S3 VIRGE" and found plenty of hits. You may wish to try that method and see if you can sort it out. Good luck.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's always good to tell what you know about hard- and software
196 MB is enough to run Fluxbox and possibly XFCE but not to install - and if there was a XP live CD it would have been way too little :)
The ting you can do is to use a really low resource distro like knoppix to create a swap partition. This will then be used by the Live CD and perhaps it will work
Husse

Post by Husse »

Good - but you should have put the swap at the beginning of the disk so you get the fastest part for swap

Return to “Installation & Boot”