New kernel & "HAL patch" stall at boot screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DapperMe17

New kernel & "HAL patch" stall at boot screen

Post by DapperMe17 »

Elyssa

Hello,

Just recently received the ".22" kernel update.

1st boot into the new kernel was flawless.

However, after successfully recompiling "HAL patch" (same process I completed for the previous kernel) from source, for the AR5007 wireless card & rebooting, the new kernel stalls at the boot screen & will not boot.

At the moment, I have both the .19 & .22 kernels available at Grub.

Both have been identically configured with the "HAL patch" source code. .19 works great, but .22 doesn't boot after compiling the "HAL patch."

Any ideas?
:roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: New kernel & "HAL patch" stall at boot screen

Post by Husse »

This is exactly why we have mintUpdate and categorize a kernel update in category five and as such potentially dangerous
Kernel 2.6.22 is not supported by Mint (it's not even in the repos I believe)
To understand your problem you would probably need to examine the kernel closely unless you made a mistake in compiling
DapperMe17

Post by DapperMe17 »

Thanks Husse, good to know.

Not a big deal, I'll look into it furthur.

I can always uninstall that new kernel.

Would you recommend always keeping with the current kernel, if it's working fine?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Almost always
I always have the newest of everything to test (and no wifi!) and good backups in case something breaks
So with good backups (of the entire system - I use a disk imaging program) you can afford to experiment - else it's best to keep th old kernel unless there's some security flaw or such in it
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll tell you a secret :)
I use a CD made under Win XP with Acronis Workstation
When I had my computer business I used XP and backed up several times a day not to risk loosing any critical info
Saved my but more than once
I know Acronis has a Linux version but it is not cheap, but they are the best (unless things have changed since I checked)
This is a field where I have not found that many good options, but they exist
partimage is the one I find in the repos
Probably works fine, the only thing that stops me from using it is that it can't make incremental backups so it takes up quite a bit of disk space

Return to “Installation & Boot”