Is there a toolbar ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brjoon1021
Level 2
Level 2

Is there a toolbar ?

Post by brjoon1021 »

HI,

I really like the self-generating menu idea. That is a terrific addition. Along the same vein, is there a toolbar with an easy way to add icons for quick-launching? The absence of a toolbar is the sole reason that I have avoided fluxbox and any of the window managers that do not have them.

Thanks,

B.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is there a toolbar ?

Post by shane »

Hi!

By toolbar I am supposing you mean something like a quick launcher... There is no easy way to add lauch icons to the Fluxbox slit. However, there are other options.

1. The Fluxbox menu itself. The top section of the menu is what I meant to be the 'quick launch' area... Ctrl+M, a few taps down on the cursor keys and Enter... I could never move the mouse that quickly. You can add your own entries by editing ~/.fluxbox/menu. The format is:

Code: Select all

[exec]  (Name of Application)  {command-to-run}
Add that line wherever you want it to appear in the menu. Your changes will remain intact through menu updates. However, they will be lost if you enable and/or disable icons in the menu. So keep a copy somewhere just in case.
To take it a step further you can create a file containing a list of entries you like and import that file into this menu with

[include] (~/.fluxbox/name-of-your-file)
This way, if the menu gets rewritten, you just have to add this line again to get your launchers back. This option is easy to configure and very quickly accessible. More details here: http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title ... g_the_menu

2. You can add keyboard shortcuts to run whatever you want. You have to edit the ~/.fluxbox/keys file. The format here is also simple.

Control i :ExecCommand xterm
With this, Ctrl+i will bring up an xterm. This probably the most rapidly accessible option. More details here: http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title ... _shortcuts

3. You can go for the bad old desktop icon :D Mint FB comes with idesk to handle desktop icons. First of all you will have to tell idesk to start when you log in. You will have to edit ~/.fluxbox/startup, look for the line '# idesk &' (line 75) and change it to 'idesk &'. Then you will have to create the icons.
You do this by by making a file in ~/.idesktop with the file extension .lnk (e.g. icons.lnk). The format is:

table Icon
  Caption: Desktop
  CaptionTip: Open Desktop Folder
  Command: thunar ~/Desktop
  Icon: /usr/share/icons/DeltaGreenFull/48x48/places/desktop.png
  Width: 48
  Height: 48
  X: 30
  Y: 30
end
You can add as many files as you like. I dont think is the best option since you will have to see the Desktop to have access to the icons... which is not as quick especially with loads of windows open. More details on idesk here: http://idesk.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Idesk-usage

Hope this helped!

P.S. One more thing. if you mess up any of the fluxbox configurations, simply delete the file,or even the ~/.fluxbox directory, logout and log back in. The defaults will be restored :D So go customize without fear!
Last edited by shane on Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
brjoon1021
Level 2
Level 2

Post by brjoon1021 »

Thanks for your help, terrific response.
paschalis.m

Post by paschalis.m »

wbar couldn't be another solution?

shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

wow wbar! that looks cool!
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Shane's "quick launcher in Fluxbox" post should immediately go to the wiki! 8)

Return to “Software & Applications”