Want Linux, but Latest Apps are Driving Me Back to Windows

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bikerider

Want Linux, but Latest Apps are Driving Me Back to Windows

Post by bikerider »

I have an observation that I would like some feedback on. I started using Mint Linux (Daryna) last December. To get into it, I set up our finances for 2008 in GnuCash. The level I installed from the package manager was 2.2.1, which I later found out to be a development version, not a stable version. So, I tried to find updates in the package manager, but they were never displayed. I went to the GnuCash website where they had just announced the availability of level 2.4. But no updates showed up in the package manager. But, I could get 2.4 in a Windows version. Since I needed to get off of a development version, I downloaded the Windows version and have been using GnuCash on Windows, not Linux like I started out. I am currently running GnuCash 2.7 and still, the package manager on Daryna shows 2.2.1 (the development version).

This same scenario has played itself out with OpenOffice as well. I am running 3.0 on Windows, but Daryna only supports 2.3, which has too many bugs in Base for me to continue using it.

So, from my experiences thus far, Linux seems to be inferior (sorry folks, but here is where you get to correct my thinking) to Windows when it comes to applications because I cannot get access to the latest levels of applications. They are available for Windows where I am currently running them, but not for Mint Linux. Is this a Mint Linux thing, a Linux thing, or something that I am missing that I need your help to get past?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: Want Linux, but Latest Apps are Driving Me Back to Windows

Post by msuggs »

I'd suggest updating your version of Mint to start with. Elyssa supports later versions of your software and the next release will support even later. It's also usually possible to install a later version of any software during a release cycle with a bit of searching. I'm running Ooo3 here with no problems :)
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

I'm not sure if Daryna is the problem, but removed/release/3263 has often newer version, sometimes untested, precompiled ... just replace the old files with the downloaded from removed.

Oo.org is available for download: http://download.openoffice.org/contribu ... on%3D3.0.0 ... if there is a reason to upgrade before it's listed and tested in the package manager

PS: I don't use GnuCash, but I think GnuCash isn't in version 2.7 yet, is it?
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

try homebank - that is a great app! I loaded it a couple of weeks back.

http://homebank.free.fr/
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

In addition, I've found that my sources don't always correctly update/refresh themselves. I almost always get a "no updates available" message from MintUpdate when it automatically checks for updates. However, when I open Synaptic and refresh my sources, updates are found.

I would recommend doing that before deciding for sure that no updates really are available.

Of course, that could be something wacky with my configuration, but it's at least worth a try.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

If you want to keep Mint. But, still need Windows to run some things. Try VirtualBox. If you do use version 1.6.6. Thats the newest one I could get my USB drives to work in.
Jerry
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

curt_grymala wrote: I almost always get a "no updates available" message from MintUpdate when it automatically checks for updates. However, when I open Synaptic and refresh my sources, updates are found.
This would be because Synaptic doesn't use the levelled update system that mintUpdate uses. The updates that you see in Synaptic when none are available in mintUpdate are most likely level 4 and 5 updates and not recommended for a stable system.
unexistance

Post by unexistance »

Which is the same problem that I have (I'm still using mint4/Daryna, btw) :D
After a bit of researching around, I found out that there are two types of release for Linux (in general, not linuxmint), the usual versioned-release AND rolling-release..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

It means, there is only one stable 'version' of distro, with all the latest apps in the repo, you will only need to reload your synaptics like say once-a-week..

If memory serve me, I've read here abut some suggestion of making linuxmint a rolling-release distro, but I'm not sure what the outcome of it ..

Anyway, one newbie-friendly rolling-release distro that I know is PCLinuxOS, you might want to give it a try first, before having to revert to Windows (not that it's bad :D)
JawsThemeSwimming428
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JawsThemeSwimming428 »

If you want to stay Debian based go with Sidux. http://sidux.com/
Fred

Post by Fred »

This is a strength of Linux in general. The package management system helps assure that the packages you download for your system will work properly and not break things. It provides another level of testing that you don't have if you go to the website and download the latest and greatest. That is one of the reasons that you can run a Linux system for long periods of time, (years), and it remain stable. When you install applications outside of the recommended repos you always run the risk of getting a mixture that will break something or cause other stability problems.

You have the option of installing the latest and greatest via other methods than the repos if you need to but the more you do this the more of a risk you take with system stability.

It is usually better to compromise depending on what your priorities are and choose a distro that has the mix of up-to-date and stability you feel the most comfortable with.

Fred

Return to “Beginner Questions”