stability issues with elyssa

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
P.Arthur

stability issues with elyssa

Post by P.Arthur »

Hi,

first, I wanted to post this in the 'newbie'-section, because I still feel like one, but I suppose I better do it here because of the length and complexity of the question:

I experience ongoing stability problems with elyssa, have no idea what to try any more.
The system installs and runs fine until, after an unpredictable time, system time stops, the computer stops action unless I keep the mouse moving, no apps can be closed or opened any more and finally there is no response at all exept for 'Ctrl'+'Alt'+'Return', on which the menu bar and desktop icons disappear and the desktop background freezes with only the mouse left on its last spot.
This sometimes happens only after a couple of hours, sometimes minutes after startup.
No matter, weather I do a fresh, clean install or install all updates with level '2' or install all with level '3' also or with/without ati driver.
I have no problems at all with WinXP on same system and Daryna also ran perfectly fine before.
My ram is o.k., checked with memtest.
My system is: msi m635, 15,4", 1280x800, turion64 mt-34, 1024mb ram, ati x700m (128mb ram), 80 gb harddrive
Partitions:
#1 WinXP
#2 Linux Mint
#3 ext3 data (NOT formatted with new installations on #1 or #2)
#4 swap

If anybody has a clue whats going on there, please let me know.
Also let me know, if you need more information.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rbanavara

Re: stability issues with elyssa

Post by rbanavara »

have you checked the system logs. Few that I can recall are:

output of dmesg &
the files in /var/log

Also are you running the laptop from battery, in that case it may probably trying to hibernate & having issues.
P.Arthur

Re: stability issues with elyssa

Post by P.Arthur »

Well, I'm no expert, but output of dmesg is a long list which doesn't contain anything suspicious to me, here are the last lines for this moment (system running fine):

[ 110.161034] Marking TSC unstable due to: cpufreq changes.
[ 110.169759] Time: acpi_pm clocksource has been installed.
[ 110.389694] Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -127208119 ns)
[ 112.400089] NET: Registered protocol family 17
[ 1085.363701] ACPI: EC: missing confirmations, switch off interrupt mode.
[ 1085.364297] ACPI: EC: non-query interrupt received, switching to interrupt mode
[ 1194.909957] ACPI: EC: missing OBF confirmation, don't expect it any longer.

With the files in /var/log, there are just too much of them, I can't see a point in checking about 100 files, are there some more interesting among them?

I'm running on AC Power and have standby/suspend disabled anyway.

Return to “Software & Applications”