Simple audio configuration ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mahutchinson

Simple audio configuration ?

Post by mahutchinson »

I started off recently on Kubuntu, which I liked but on which I could not get my audio working. Then I tried Opensuse as I thought the configuration tools might help with the audio but instead it was worse as it cannot install the audio driver for some reason and the printer is not configured either (wrong spooler !!!???). I am wondering whether Mint will configure my audio any more efficiently than my previous distro choices ? Audio does seem to be a real sticking point with Linux at the moment and the how to guides are just ludicrously complex and geeky (IMO obviously :? ). I have onboard audio Intel ICH8 HD on an Asus P5B board. Any ideas on if it might get configured straight out of the box ? I appreciate that I should not choose a distro purely on this issue but it would be a great incentive to use Mint and it looks like a pretty slick interface to me as well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Simple audio configuration ?

Post by SiKing »

I can only offer you a two-part half-answer :lol:
1. I have had situations with various distros, where sound did not work for me from the liveCD, but once I installed it the sound worked. So unfortunately, I do not think you will be able to judge purely on the Mint liveCD, but it is a good start. Boot it, and see what happens.
2. If #1 does not work, try http://www.knoppix.com/; it is a liveCD only (non-installable). It is said to have the best hardware detection. Unfortunately, and this is the half-answer part, if your sound works under Knoppix, I do not know how you find out which (combination?) of drivers is it that got it to work.

Good luck.
mahutchinson

Re: Simple audio configuration ?

Post by mahutchinson »

Thanks - I will have a go this evening and see what happens. I have an existing home partition and the instructions to keep it (in the release notes section for downloads) look reasonably understandable except for this line:-

"add the /home partition for /media/sda? to /home"

Could someone explain what I am adding to what and how please ?

Return to “Beginner Questions”