Need Help with Preferred Applications

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garda

Need Help with Preferred Applications

Post by garda »

Hello,

I've been trying out a few multimedia players the last several days and now I think SMPlayer suits my taste better. I want to make it my default media player by altering the option in System > Preferences > Preferred Applications so that it's executed everytime I press the "Media" shortcut key on my keyboard. But now pressing it brings no applications at all (i.e. it no longer works), even after setting the option back to Rhythmbox (the default). Any hints?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Need Help with Preferred Applications

Post by Husse »

I had to read this a couple of times to get your problem
The default application is one thing and keyboard shortcuts another, and it seems they did not communicate to well
Open Keyboard shortcuts (form Control Center or the menu)
Select launch media player and press the key(s) you want to use, close Keyboard shortcuts
The media player should now open if you press the key - but I can't tell you which one :( There is no possibility to edit that which is a drawback I think
garda

Post by garda »

Thanks for replying. :D

I already tried to reassign the "Media" button via Keyboard Shortcuts applet several times and I can see it detect the keypress (it says XF86AudioMedia). But pressing the key doesn't fire up any applications at all (it used to fire up Rhythmbox). Any clue how to get the functionality back?
garda

Post by garda »

I want to report that my problem has now been partially solved. Digging through Google, I found this neat little keybinding utility dubbed keytouch. It's lightweight, effective and highly configurable. The more interesting part is that it's already available through Synaptic.

It seems to detect all of my extra shortcut keys, although not all of them work. Turning the volume dial, for example, doesn't actually change the volume level. But I'll find a way to get around it, I suppose.

Again, thank you for responding to my question. I really appreciate it. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”