Linux Mint 5 Fluxbox released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 5 Fluxbox released!

Post by clem »

Linux Mint is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 5 Elyssa Fluxbox Community Edition. This edition, maintained by Shane Joe Lazar, brings you the best and most essential tools from the Main and XFCE editions on top of an extremely thin desktop and the lightweight Fluxbox window manager. [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=404
wrender

Re: Linux Mint 5 Fluxbox released!

Post by wrender »

I am very excited about this release and I really look forward to Mint 6 fluxbox.

Great job!
ruudspa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ruudspa »

Hi,

This is truly a great distro. Everything works out of the box. I love Fluxbox, so keep up the good work

ruud spa :D :D
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Good news!
Good job by Shane (and everyone else involved!) and congratulation to yet another great Mint release!! :D

[EDIT] - It runs like a charm right out of the box like ALL Mint candy! ;) [/EDIT]
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Shane has done an excellent job with this edition. Thanks!
azurehi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by azurehi »

I have tried % times to install mint 5 fluxbox and Every time the installation stalls/stop when the partitioner is at 46% - any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

@azurehi

make sure you dont burn it in a cdrw or dvdrw and burn it to the maximum slowest to avoid errors cause sometimes linux distros tends to not work if you dont follow that, i downloaded the ubuntu beta 8.10 and it didnt work at all when i was in a hurry to burn it in the fastest and i putted it in the cdrw but after i burned it in the cdr it works without problems....

if all else fails make sure that the iso you downloadedhas no problems
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

azurehi wrote:I have tried % times to install mint 5 fluxbox and Every time the installation stalls/stop when the partitioner is at 46% - any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks
This sounds like a bad CD or ISO image. Try this:

1. Check the md5sum of the ISO image you downloaded
2. Burn the CD at the slowest possible speed
3. If you are still having this problem, right after the installation fails copy the contents of the file /var/log/syslog
and post them here or elsewhere...

I think it is most probably one of the first 2.
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

KingLenchx wrote:Make a Linux Mint 5 Fluxbox released! with x64 processors support PLEASE!!!
That would be nice :)

(I am on Mint64, with Fluxbox and OpenBox as toy /backups WM...)
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

c-128 wrote:so Sad :(
our "friends" maty1206 and molom are back to the attack
http://www.maty1206linuxeando.com/

http://molom.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/d ... -released/
I don't mind being criticized. It can only make us better. They did raise a good point about resource usage. Even so, I don't think that using Fluxbox means your desktop has to look like its 1985 or you have to miss out on other goodies in Linux. Our reply should be a release about which they will have nothing bad to say! So please contribute to the discussion I started about the Felicia Fluxbox release. http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 42&t=18216

About a 64bit Fluxbox edition... My hands are pretty much full with this edition which I put together mostly on my own with help from the other team members especially merlwiz and of course exploder. Then comes the fact that I do not have a 64bit machine. If someone is willing to take up the challenge I will be most willing to help where I can.
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Caraibes »

shane wrote:About a 64bit Fluxbox edition... My hands are pretty much full with this edition which I put together mostly on my own with help from the other team members especially merlwiz and of course exploder. Then comes the fact that I do not have a 64bit machine.
You're doing good, man... It was anyway Clem who said CE would be 32 bit so far, in the first place... Don't worry about critics... There's a place for everybody in DIstrolandia !
molom123

Post by molom123 »

molom here.

Firstly I want to congratulate Clem, Shane Joe Lazar and the rest of the Linux Mint team for the Fluxbox release. I am not here to attack or anything related.

About my post on my blog, I was simply stating that it wasn't the release I was looking forward to. I see the purpose of Fluxbox being made for slow PC's or to have a light environment, but others, it might be a different case, for example having Fluxbox simply because it functions the way the user wants it to opposed to any other WM or DE. It might not be the right distro for minimalists, but for others just wanting a fluxbox distro, it's perfect. I am not attacking (Although maty did translate it a bit differently, I imagine it's a misunderstanding) and never did relating to that blog post. As anyone would see on my blog, I do mention that ' Linux Mint makes good distros, but as for this edition, I find it crazy that the minimal is 256mb.', so I am not 'attacking' in anyway.

@c-128
Why would you register just to mention that on two threads? It's like as if you want me to comment here...

PS. I will not respond to any other comments and questions directed at me. As I know, Clem doesn't want me here (And I respect that, it's his forum and not mine), and I don't want to annoy him by emerging this thread into a flame war. I have expressed my opinion and that is all I am going to do. The last thing I want is someone directing users to my blog and thinking or stating that I'm 'attacking'.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

c-128 wrote:@ molomo123
ooh! please do NOT flatter yourself, now move on no one wants you here :evil:
Easy now, no flaming!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
MEGA

Post by MEGA »

It is work great on my laptop , really i like it

:D :D :D :D
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Sweet!!!! I'm installing it now on my old Toshiba PIII 392 Meg RAM Laptop.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please no flaming and refrain from posts that are just an attack on other posts
If this becomes a topic of flaming there's no other option than to lock it :(
mrreality13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mrreality13 »

Hi all ,
Been using linux off and on for years and i am truly impressed with the job you all did on mint 5 fluxy.I have always enjoyed using mint and i do prefer a simple wm like flux ,So in my opinion this is one of the finer distros on the market.Keep up the great work!! :wink:
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sadly a flame war between the just registered user c-128 and guest maty1206 raged in this topic
As a consequence c-128 has been banned (maty1206 was banned "long" ago) and the posts in question were deleted
This is something that makes me feel sad, but it is necessary not to have the forum destroyed
And maty1206 please show maturity enough not to post in this forum
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Well done, Husse... very sad, anyway :(
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Great work Shane and thank you very much!!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”