What does Linux Mint need to operate?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Linux Mint comes as a live CD, which means you can start your computer with the CD inside it, and it will run the system even before it's installed. Because of your hardware specs, it might be very slow.. however, once it's installed on your hard drive, it should run fine.

Linux is said to be hard and complex. However, I find it easier to use than Windows. If I was to recommend an OS to my grandmother, it would be Linux with Gnome, and not Windows... no virus, no registry cleaning, no antispyware, no defragmentation... in fact, you don't need to know much about Linux to be able to enjoy it. Well, she can't see the screen (she's quite old), so that solves the problem :)

Linux Mint is a good option for novice users, as it comes installed with a lot of things you would have had a hard time installing yourself (mp3 support, reading DVD discs etc..).

PS: Don't be sorry to take anyone's time. You'll meet a lot of people on the forums and on the IRC, not only from the Linux Mint community, but Linux users in general.. you'll see, people are usually very welcoming and eager to help.

In brief, if you're not "used to" windows, you should find Linux Mint quite easy.

Good luck and enjoy your first steps under Linux.
Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

My Minty system is my "slow" laptop in my sig and it is well up to the job .
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
jonpackard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonpackard »

Welcome to Linux Gramps! I found your story to be an inspiration. It's really great that your friend is helping you get started with Linux. A lot of people have the misconception that Linux is an operating system for computer experts. The fact is, most people have been using Microsoft Windows for most of their lives and trying something different sounds difficult to them. I think you will find Linux Mint to be easy to use and a great alternative to using Microsoft Windows.
Jon Packard -- Linux Mint user since 11/14/2006
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob »

Gramps, I'm nearly 62 and picked up Linux after retirement. Right now, I'm quint-booting Fedora Core 6, Mandriva 2007, Mint, Ubnutu and PCLinuxOS and am moderator for two different distro forums. If you have the time and interest, you'll really love linux and the community will be more than happy to fill in the gaps as you learn. So, hang in there kid - it's gonna be a fun ride! :D
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What does Linux Mint need to operate?

Post by Fragadelic »

Gramps wrote:Hello all!

I'm brand new to linux and pretty new to computers. I've only been using computers for a year now. I have a pretty old computer; it is a Pentium 800 mhz. and has 256 mb RAM and a 30 GB hard drive. Will Linux Mint work on this? Do you have a forum for beginners? I am 59 years old and the old brain is not as quick as it used to be. Is this operating system going to be a good choice for someone my age? One of the young fellas in town told me to try Linux Mint.

Sorry to take up your time,

Gramps
You'll have no problem running Mint on that PC. In fact I have more PC's in the house with lower specs than that one. The laptop I'm posting this with is just about the same as your PC.

This forum is for everyone. Beginners to expert! We're all here by choice.

Ask anything you need to and I'm sure I won't be the only one offering up answers. Lots of good folks here that are more than willing to help you and anyone else out.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Lots of good folks here
That's right. Some kind of a little community got here on these forums. I'm starting to remember some of the nicknames that come here often and I have to say I'm very happy with the general ambiance that you guys created.

Remind me to look into that avatar problem and to fix the forums for that. It wouldn't harm if we could put a face or an avatar on each other :)

Clem
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I changed my login to clem by the way... some people called me root and I was a bit too impressed by that :)
Fragadelic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fragadelic »

Just don't allow linked avatars since we had problems with them for various reasons.

Try to find a set of penguin related ones and let folks pick their own from there.

You caught me by surprise - seeing clem instead of root - lol.

I'm here to stay. I really like Mint - it feels like home.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”