Fstab editting solved

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hoe

Fstab editting solved

Post by hoe »

I would like my storage partition to mount on boot so that when l use Amarok or Picasa l won't have to manually mount it before these programs can access their music and photos which are stored on this partition. The partition is sdb6 which is vfat. IT'S UUID is 4527-7A6F. It's label is BACKUP. Things are sure different over here than in Mepis but l do like Mint and am still trying to find my way around.

Wayne
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Fstab editting

Post by Husse »

I thought Mepis was based on Debian and that Debian handled things much the same as Ubuntu (rather the other way round :))
It's a pity we don't have a simple GUI for this yet
1) make a folder to mount the partition into /media/sdb6 is a suggestion
2) Edit fstab

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
add a line like this

Code: Select all

/dev/sdb6 /media/sdb6 vfat umask=0000,uid=1000,gid=1000,auto,rw,users 0 0
You could have other options, I nicked this from a post by Fred who is really good at fstab and such
Instead of /dev/sdb6 you could have UUID=4527-7A6F or LABEL=BACKUP
Note - I've never used the label option nor studied it so I can't say much about it's pros and cons
hoe

Post by hoe »

That seemed to work! ... thanks!

I found it easier to do a lot of things in Mepis but l couldn't get browser sound in Mepis so instead of switching from Mepis to Mint all the time l decided to make Mint my main desktop ... l do like Mint and would like to use it on my laptop but it won't recognize my Atheros wireless card ... if l could solve that problem l would be away. I only have room on my laptop for one OS so l was trying to get it working on the LiveCD but to no avail ... if l could get it to work on the LiveCD l would install it to the hard drive ... oh, well!

Wayne
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yes Mepis seems to be a nice distro
Open a new topic about your wifi in the wireless section
First take a look at the wifi wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/MintWifi
I think there are even drivers for Atheros in mintWifi
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/drivers
hoe

Post by hoe »

I tried the Mint KDE edition and could connect with no problems but l don't want to use it because of KDE 4.x . Ironically Main Mint and KDE Mint have the same drives in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintWifi/drivers. Another thing l discovered ... l did install Mint KDE on my main desktop because l have lots of partitions to play with and l got no browser sound ... almost seems like a KDE thing because Mepis is KDE too.

Wayne
hoe

Post by hoe »

Since windose is on this laptop too l managed to install the driver using ndiswrapper and now my card works but l haven't figured out where to put my WEP key although it does see my network.

Wayne
hoe

Post by hoe »

My WEP key is 25 characters long but it will only allow me to enter 21 ... is there a file to configure?

Wayne
Husse

Post by Husse »

The wrong key
I use WPA because of the almost zero security with WEP so I don't remember too well about WEP but I know you have to select the right key and it is not the one that is generated by the application if that helps
hoe

Post by hoe »

The key l have is provided to me by my service provider and l use it in Mepis already on my laptop.

Wayne
Husse

Post by Husse »

hoe wrote:The key l have is provided to me by my service provider and l use it in Mepis already on my laptop.

Wayne
This beats me - do you connect to your ISP with wifi and WEP?
I only know that the keys in WEP confuses people
hoe

Post by hoe »

Got it solved, I'm connected! :-)

Wayne

Return to “Installation & Boot”