Mint Won't Shut Down Anymore

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
curt_grymala

Mint Won't Shut Down Anymore

Post by curt_grymala »

Greetings, friends!
I am using Linux Mint Elyssa. After the last batch of updates, I have found that Mint will no longer shut down or restart when I choose that option from the menu. When I choose shut down or restart, the desktop and panels disappear and everything, but the wallpaper remains. Then, it just seems to hang for a long period of time. I've left it for more than five minutes without any activity.

It seems that the only way I can shut down Mint at the moment is to press the power button on my tower. Doing that, however, does invoke the shut down procedures and Mint shuts down properly.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I usually want to restart rather than shutting down.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint Won't Shut Down Anymore

Post by Acid_1 »

give

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -P now
. That'll restart your pc and you'll not hurt anything.
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

Thank you for the tip. I actually use shutdown -r now when I remember that the logout/shutdown/restart won't work in Mint.

However, I am somewhat curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue, as I am not sure if it's a bug or if it's a misconfiguration somewhere along the line.
curt_grymala

Post by curt_grymala »

I have uploaded an archive of the outputs from the following commands, in case this might help diagnose my situation. Thank you.

dmesg
lspci -vv
lspci -vvn
lshal
dmidecode

Return to “Installation & Boot”