How to Upgrade VLC

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: How to Upgrade VLC

Post by Husse »

but it has file 404 not found errors.(located at bottom of the page)
That is for Dapper!! Always check which version of Mint/Ubuntu the package is made for
I made a quick check and the only way to get VLC seems to be the way you've found
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

woody79_00,

I hesitate to suggest this, but there is another way you can probably get the very latest VLC. This works fine on my KDE CE of Mint 5. I want to warn you however, that It may break something on your install, so use at your own risk and be prepared to go back to the earlier version if necessary.

This is the repo for the nightly builds of VLC for Debian. If it works ok for you be sure to disable the repo after you finish upgrading VLC. There is no way of knowing if the nightly build will work each and every night. In fact, it probably won't. So once you have a good working version, don't tamper with it. I have had good luck with the nightly for the past week or so.

Put this in your repo list:

deb http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/debian sid main

In a terminal do a:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get -u install vlc libdvdcss2 mozilla-plugin-vlc

Close the terminal

Be sure and comment out the repo above after you do this and do another:

sudo apt-get update

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

Hi Fred
I considered your solution but did not know if it worked
Can't be stressed enough that the repo should be removed once VLC is installed
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Fred, looks like a good solution to me. All of the proper warnings are there and it is simple enough to revert back to the previously installed version should things go wrong.I know that many are real interested in the newer version of VLC. Nice instructions!
mercier

Post by mercier »

new vlc works for me on mint5 64bit. i downloaded the tar.bz2 file, did ./configure, and installed all the missing libraries that were shown as missing in the terminal.

it works ok, but 16:6 format is not doing ok. at least i have new interface... :?
mercier

Post by mercier »

mercier wrote:new vlc works for me on mint5 64bit. i downloaded the tar.bz2 file, did ./configure, and installed all the missing libraries that were shown as missing in the terminal.

it works ok, but 16:6 format is not doing ok. at least i have new interface... :?
update: at leas one of the movies that was working fine in the old version is looking scrambled in 0.9.5.

so i just did : sudo make uninstall.

now i have old version and it's working great.
Fred

Post by Fred »

What I suggested will bring you the 1.0.0 version which is a work in progress. It is coming along nicely I might add.

Just head my warnings above.

Fred
Fred

Post by Fred »

woody79_00,

The way you described would probably be safer than what I suggested. Glad it worked out for you. :-)

Fred
Rogar

Post by Rogar »

I added the launchpad repository through synaptic, but when I hit "Reload" I get this nag:
Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/c-korn/ubuntu/ ... ackages.gz 404 Not Found
If I go there with a web browser, I can find "Packages.gz". What's up with that?
I'm using mint xfce 5, which rocks on my 10 year old computer.

Return to “Beginner Questions”