Installed Mint Xfce flawlessly, now cannot get into Windows

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marcus

Installed Mint Xfce flawlessly, now cannot get into Windows

Post by Old Marcus »

I've just installed Mint Xfce on my dad's comp without a hitch, except that when I try to get into the Windows 98 (yes, it's old) install, it goes into the C prompt and gives me a message saying HIMEM.SYS is missing, and I should check that it is in my windows directory. I can't access Windows though, and I want to check that all the important stuff is still there, even though I installed mint on the second harddrive, and didn't touch the first. Any ideas?

Also, how do I access the Windows partitions in Mint Xfce? In GNOME it's simple enough, but I've not seen anywhere I can does this in Xfce yet.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hpetoregistersoon

Re: Installed Mint Xfce flawlessly, now cannot get into Windows

Post by hpetoregistersoon »

to see windows partition=>

from panel click places=>File system then go to media see if you can see the partition. (i.e. /media)

if it's not mounted right click anywhere in thunar and select open as root. Then from panel go to system=+partition editor that should mount it
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

No luck. But I know that the partitions still exist, I just can't get at them. :(
hopetoregistersoon

Post by hopetoregistersoon »

when you open thunar as root and then run partition editor do you see the partition?
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

I see the partition, but I can't mount it.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

No problem now, managed to mount the partitions by editing fstab, but thanks for your help. :) My dad will have to access the windows partitions through Linux now, at least until I manage to fix it not detecting himem.sys. Which could be a while, depending on how pro Linux I feel at the time. :P

Return to “Installation & Boot”