RunTime GetDataBack Alternative

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rickpref

RunTime GetDataBack Alternative

Post by rickpref »

In XP/Vista, I have been using this software for a few years and it is amazing at recovering deleted files (NTFS and FAT)

Is there a good Open Source alternative to this?

I have searched the internet and can't find anything that has a GUI. I don't use the command line and if that has to be the case I will use Vista (through virtualbox) to recover the files, but since I am trying to find an alternative for everything I do in Vista/XP, I would rather not have to boot up vista.

Any ideas? Something that can do NTFS / FAT32 is usually all I need but it would be great if it can handle ext as well.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: RunTime GetDataBack Alternative

Post by garda »

Hello,

I think you'll want to take Ubuntu Rescue Remix Live CD for a spin. I've read some nice words about it but haven't actually used it as I've never experienced any incidents that cause data loss (yet). Be sure to read through all the documentations before doing anything with it, awright?. :)
rickpref

Post by rickpref »

Thanks for the reply Garda, but that is the software I was talking about that I don't want. I'm looking for something that has a GUI (Graphical User Interface). Where I can use a mouse and buttons instead of typing on the command line. If it comes to that I stick with Vista and GetDataBack for data recovery.
garda

Post by garda »

Oops, sorry about that. I kind of missed the fine print. :lol:

This is the only data recovery utility for Linux with GUI that I have in my Firefox bookmark (haven't actually tried it): Autopsy. You may also want to check out some live CD distros that employ the software: Tools Using TSK or Autopsy. Autopsy and Sleuth Kit are available through Synaptic. So happy testing.

Return to “Software & Applications”