Copy Mint to another computer.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NumNuts
Level 2
Level 2

Copy Mint to another computer.

Post by NumNuts »

Hi,
I guess this has been asked a number of times.
I have a copy of mint setup for my kids on a laptop with various games etc.. Due to a number for punch ups and general arguments over ownership of the laptop, I have bought two extra laptops to bring peace and tranquility to the Numnuts household.
How do I make an image of the original laptop to install on the others?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Copy Mint to another computer.

Post by xnostradamusx »

well i just want to share what i do regarding that because sometimes my friends gets amazed with my mint so i just do a complete install with my mint 5 installer and use my burned copy of aptonocd and to restore the packages there so you wont need to bother to download everything again and can install it even without internet connection
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
NumNuts
Level 2
Level 2

Post by NumNuts »

Well tickle me b!"£$%s, never knew that was hiding away in there. You learn something new every day. This will restore the zen like calm to the family.
Cheers matey.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

glad i can help, btw i wonder what kind of games your kids playin cause you know 3d games isnt friendly with linux it doesnt get along with the video card
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
awshidahak

Post by awshidahak »

i know that the op's question is already answered but in case anyone browsing over here is curious about imaging here is how its done. First, you have to have an external hard drive with more free space than the size of the partition that you wish to copy. Then you boot off of the mint cd. Make sure that your external hard drive is plugged in and registered. Once you are at the main desktop screen click on Elyssa (or whichever the menu button happens to be) and then open Terminal. Once you are in terminal do the following:

1. type cd /media/ (not pressing enter at the end)

2. press tab. a menu of devices should appear. press the first few letters of the name of your external hard drive (case is important here. press tab again and press enter.

3. type the following and press enter (replace <partition> with the name of your partition eg sda2)
dd if=/dev/<partition> of=mycopy.img

It will take a very long time. once it is finished to copy it to a new computer with partition of the same size do the exact same except on step three you type
dd if=mycopy of=/dev/<partition>
remembering the replace <partition> as described above. you can also use this to copy whole hard drives (including partition table and mbr) by replacing <partition> with the hard drive eg. sda. hope this is useful to someone.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Another option is to use remastersys.

Return to “Beginner Questions”