The current state of Ubuntu Intrepid.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: The current state of Ubuntu Intrepid.

Post by exploder »

Thanks Old Marcus, I appreciate your help.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I also have the five occurrences of Brasero in the editing list. Remote Desktop Viewer and F-Spot Photo Manager have two entries each, as well.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

I can also confirm that the new version of udev in the proposed updates works for the cd problem. :)
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

After reading this thread my vote is still for Debian. It's a better distro in every way then Ubuntu and it's maintained much better than Ubuntu. In regard to sid being less stable than Debians main release, let's not forget all debian based distros are based on sid or lenny including Ubuntu and Sidux.

Starting with sid would mean a lot more work for the Mint team. I've tried Sidux and it is less full featured than Ubuntu and sid is less full featured than Sidux but is Mint shooting for the Ubuntu or is Mint shooting for the stars.

If I was going to create a new distro I'd build it from scratch. That's the only way to avoid all the problems associated with building on someone else's distro. That would also avoid the worrying problem that the distro you build on might not be there tomorrow.
meandean

Post by meandean »

exploder wrote: I noticed that other Debian based distributions are utilizing the Sidux kernel, this says a lot.
Really? which ones?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Really? which ones?
Mepis, Antix and some Debian user's.
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

Hi there again exploder ;)

I was wandering around cyberspace and popped in to say hello and make a comment or two about a couple of things in this thread and to agree with you on your first post.

1. sidux begins with a small 's'!
(I know, not a majot issue, but the guys there do insist on the correct spelling and rightly so)

2. I agree that some of the big/major distros are releasing pretty shoddy/buggy work which IMO is out of order.
The latest Mandriver release, Ubuntu release, Open SUSE release were all full of bugs. The smaller distros appear to be much better at releasing even betas that are better than some final releases of the big guns. Here I speak of MEPIS, sidux, my own antiX and of course Mint.

3. sidux is really a great distro that adheres to free software. Go to their svn and the pyfll part and you can create a sidux/sid (and not only) livecd. Freely available.

4. antiX comes with a MEPIS kernel by default, but uses the smxi script so sidux and Debian kernels can be easily installed. Another distro I know of that has a sidux kernel is myrinix.

exploder, give the MEPIS beta 5 a run through (if you like kde). Very fast install and very stable already.
Finally, to let you know that antiX-M8 is in testing.

Good luck Mint with the new release.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

anticapitalista , it is very nice to hear from you. I understand what you are saying about the sidux kernel. (Spelled sidux right this time!) I guess what I should have said is that some are installing and using the sidux kernel in other distributions.I am looking forward to checking out antiX-M8!

Return to “Chat about Linux”