Network authentication issue.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bulpup

Network authentication issue.

Post by Bulpup »

I have a cable modem and have been trying to get Mint to recognize the connection. I've cycled the modem, tried booting the machine with the cable plugged into it, tried setting the network connection to dhcp, tried the "Enable Networking" toggle to renew the lease. Nothing. However, this time when I clicked "Unlock" in the network settings and input my password when asked, the "Authenticate" button remained depressed for a moment, then the window gave itself a little shake and the password field cleared, followed by a little popup window that reads, "Could not authenticate" "An unexpected error has occurred." Rebooting the system didn't do anything and I'm not sure what went wrong. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
celtic426

Re: Network authentication issue.

Post by celtic426 »

Wait so Mint won't recognize ur cable internet connection? Is it coming right from the modem? What brand/type of modem are you using? Are you using a working Cat 5 cable? Check the cable on each end that is snaps in. Sorry, but this could just be me, but I haven't seen problems with linux not seeing a cable connection.

And that authenticate thing, that is just to unlock those settings so that you can change the settings pertaining to the connection. Nothing in there should really matter until you get a connection.
Bulpup

Re: Network authentication issue.

Post by Bulpup »

It's connected directly to the modem, yes, and it's a Motorola SB5102. I know the physical cable is fine because it still works with my old computer. Maybe I should try reinstalling Mint or something. :?

Return to “Beginner Questions”