Administrator Privileges for KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Administrator Privileges for KDE

Post by jhouse59 »

How can I get administrator privileges in KDE? I'm trying to install VirtualBox Guest Additions for KDE. When I click on the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run. I get a message that says:
...This program must be run with administrator privileges. Aborting Press Return to close this Window...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Administrator Privileges for KDE

Post by 67GTA »

open a terminal and become root

Code: Select all

su
then drag and drop the .run file onto the terminal and select "paste". Hit enter. That is the way I always do it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

67GTA wrote:open a terminal and become root

su
then drag and drop the .run file onto the terminal and select "paste". Hit enter. That is the way I always do it.
Thanks 67GTA. Just now had a chance to use this. I've mostly used GNOME. In it the files downloaded are stored in "/var/cache/apt/archives". Is this where KDE's are stored? Will the same updates in GNOME work in KDE?
Thanks Jerry
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Yes. Apt keeps this cache of everything downloaded and installed on your system. The cool thing about this is you can use AptOnCD to make a CD of up to date packages from the archives to use on another PC, or update a new install to it's current state if you have to reinstall the OS. You can also reinstall something you've already installed without downloading it again because it is cached in the archives. If you run

apt-get clean
in a terminal, it will empty the archives if you don't have a lot of disk space.

apt-get autoclean
will only remove the oldest versions of downloaded packages, but not all of them.
Last edited by 67GTA on Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
jhouse59
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jhouse59 »

67GTA wrote:Yes. Apt keeps this cache of everything downloaded and installed on your system. The cool thing about this is you can use AptOnCD to make a CD of up to date packages from the archives to use on another PC, or update a new install to it's current state if you have to reinstall the OS. You can also reinstall something you've already installed without downloading it again because it is cached in the archives. If you run

apt-get clean
in a terminal, it will empty the archives if you don't have a lot of disk space.

apt-get autoclean
will only remove the oldest versions of downloaded packages, but not all of them.
I've used AptOnCD to make a CD or ISO file of the updates of my GNOME installation. When I put them on the KDE in the VirtualBox. It still wants to download 100mb of updates. I guess they also have different updates. :?:

Return to “Software & Applications”