Flash/Javascript acting up?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Flash/Javascript acting up?

Post by varaonaid »

Hello,

I'm running Firefox 3.0.3 and I'm having some issues that recently started. It seems that flash sort of "drops out". Best way I can describe it. One minute it will be working and then, the area that should have a flash image/section suddenly goes to a black gray area. When this happens, it affects any flash pages across multiple tabs.

Also, I'm noticing that there are some weird glitches happening with javascript. Pop ups (appropriate ones, not ads) aren't working. When I click a link where a pop-up should happen, it's just...nothing. Examples of this are Amazon price checks, a video box on msnbc.com, and images that should switch when clicked. ts you could

I didn't have this problem when I first installed Elyssa. It just recently began. I have no idea what could have caused this. I didn't install anything new, no addons, themes, extensions or even Mint programs.

Any idea what could be causing this? I'm kind of stumped. A restart of FF will fix the flash issue (at least till it happens again) but doesn't solve the javascript issue.

Any thoughts or help would be really awesome. Thanks so much in advance!!

Rae
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Flash/Javascript acting up?

Post by Husse »

Two things
Empty the cache - this is the first thing to do when the browser (regardless of which one) starts acting oddly
You could get the latest flash if you have not already - this is described in a General announcement
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

Just thought I would add my 2p, I have same problem with flash as described and restarting firefox starts flash working again. Haven't noticed any thing with javascript tho'.
celtic426

Post by celtic426 »

Ya I have the same flash problem. I got the save sessions add on for firefox and I just click save session and exit button then open firefox again with the same tabs saved any time the problem happens to me.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Post by varaonaid »

Hey there,

FWIW, I wanted to pass along that I did upgrade to Flash 10 and have seen measurable improvement in the Flash issues. Thanks for the tip on that Husse.

Javascript seems to be a little better, too, though I can't think why unless the old Flash was causing a problem with it somehow. Anyway, glad things are a little better!!

Thanks again!

Return to “Beginner Questions”