Getting Started with Linux Mint

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Getting Started with Linux Mint

Post by shane »

Hello everybody!

It has been quite hectic but I've finally got my next post up on my blog. As the title says, its for new users getting started with Linux Mint. Suggestions and corrections are always welcome.

http://drsjlazar.blogspot.com/2007/03/g ... -mint.html

shane.
carlos
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carlos »

Shane that was a great article. Pretty much being a beginner myself, its a very useful article.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Great article Shane, this is excellent!

I only have two comments:

- mintDisk mounts NTFS in read/write mode (it uses ntfs-3g) so you can write and modify files in your Windows partitions.

- the latest version of envy is in Romeo. If you point Bianca at the Romeo repository, your system will pick up version 0.9.1 automatically.

Are you planning to write more about Linux Mint? I can't wait to read you again.

Clem
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

thanks everyone for the positive feedback. its really appreciated as it does take a little effort to wring an article out of my head :lol: well, as long as people find them helpful, i am a happy man.

@Uncle Bob: no i am not a journalist... got a C in english :lol: just out of interest, i am a medical resident and linux is kind of a hobby for me... tending towards conviction :D ... so is my blog. well i guess being joe-computer-user gives me the edge when it comes to explaining stuff to other joe-computer-users - as opposed to a guy with a PhD :wink:

i see you are a pompey fan! 8) let me test you... what is the connection between the flag on my avatar and pompey? :wink:

@carlos: glad to be of help.

@clem: i did ask about the mounting of NTFS and FAT in another thread but didnt get any replies... so I just went with what i knew about mounting NTFS and FAT... and what i know is from years ago. I will make changes.

I haven't looked through the forum yet on how to add romeo repos. if you can point me to it ,it would be great.

Well i've started out on this road. might as well go all the way. I still have a few more things to say that will fill up at least one more post... basically setting up a multiple user Desktop and configuring common programs so ppl can be productive as quickly as possible. which i think is the main problem users moving over from windows with an option to go back have...

but i'll need more time... if there is anything in particular you want me to write about just let me know and i'll see what i can do. btw i am submitting my articles to linux gazette as well... more publicity cant hurt. oh and Mint is rocketing up the charts on distrowatch... so prepare your servers for some heavy workload :wink:

let me change my post... and if u can let me know abt the romeo repos i would be grateful.

cheers.

[EDIT]I've found the Romeo repos on the forum... but it's unstable... if i added this wouldn't the update manager update everything to the unstable versions? My opinion is that new users shouldn't use unstable software... want Linux to live up to the hype... after all, I did say it is stable... :D
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I've found the Romeo repos on the forum... but it's unstable... if i added this wouldn't the update manager update everything to the unstable versions? My opinion is that new users shouldn't use unstable software... want Linux to live up to the hype... after all, I did say it is stable...
Yes, I agree with you.

Clem
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

not bad at all, especially for a portsmouth fan :)
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

hairy_Palms wrote:not bad at all, especially for a portsmouth fan :)
:lol: i am not a portsmouth fan... not that i dislike them... not a big fooball fan generally... i wanted to see how well Uncle Bob knew the team. Uncle Bob I'll give you a hint... that is the flag of Zambia. Now you've got to know the connection :wink:
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

im an addick forever

( thats charlton for all the non-brits) ;)
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

@Uncle Bob: Yeah I was talking about Collins Mbesuma. He's the star striker on the Zambian National squad at th moment... although he failed to do much at the last Africa Cup of Nations. I think he's on loan to Maritimo at the moment coz he wasn't getting much time on the field. So he might be back at Portsmouth sooner or later...
tommyr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tommyr »

Excellent Article! So far I have only played with Bianc via LiveCD on my Macbook and LOVE IT! Keep up the good work Shane!

Tom

Return to “Tutorials”