Elyssa lost sound

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ahogg

Elyssa lost sound

Post by ahogg »

I am an Elyssa Newbie. I've tried several other distros on and off over the past 5 years or so, only to be frustrated with hardware issues. Although, at this time, I can't quite make a complete jump to Linux from XP, Elyssa is by far, the easiest distro that I've worked with. And I might add that the one and only reason that I absolutely have to use Windows at all, is I use a research program that is nothing more than an electronic library of very specific references in print. Perhaps I will explore Wine a bit further or even vmware server, but for now I am satisfied with setting up a dual boot. I have a Canon Pixma IP5200. I haven't tried printing high quality photos yet, but it was essentially plug and play. I have a Dell 1710 Laser that seems to work fine using the Hpijs driver. Printer behaves, not exactly like it does in XP, but more than adequately. Now to get to the point of this post. Upon installation of Mint 5, I had sound, and it was quite good in fact. It even has a particular quality about it that is different than XP. My login sound was there, all my other system sounds were audible, and Chromium B.S.U. had sound as well. The only thing that did not appear to work was the logout sound, which I read in a post that it is a known issue. No big deal. However, it seems that I no longer have any sound at all. No Chromium sound, no login, no other system sounds, and no sounds for the online games that I play from time to time. I have a PCI Soundblaster Live card. I also have onboard sound that has long been disabled from BIOS. I did that because it created some issues in XP and it sounds terrible. I don't know what I could possibly have done on my own to change the configuration of Pulse Audio or anything else for that matter. I have looked in Pulse audio preferences and devices, and there is nothing obvious to me. I still consider myself a Linux newbie overall, but definitely have a renewed zeal in making it work for at least 95% of my needs to put a number on it. Any help would be appreciated. If this post is too wordy, I apologize. Looking forward to hearing from the forum.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
celtic426

Re: Elyssa lost sound

Post by celtic426 »

Hmm...I would just double check all the devices and make sure nothing if weird in there. Double click on the volume icon on the panel. Go to File, Change Device. Check that nothing is muted in any of those. But that's weird that it just stopped right after it was working. If you can't find anything in those settings post back here.
ahogg

Post by ahogg »

Thanks for your reply. I went into the panel just like you mentioned, went to file-->change device, and it gave me a list of devices. The soundblaster card was the one that was selected to work, which is the one that I believed was configured during the install process. I suppose it had to be since that's were my speakers are plugged into. I also checked to make sure the plug was in all the way, which it was. I do not have XP up and running on this machine yet, so I can't really check the sound against that to see if it's a hardware malfunction. It seems like it may be real simple. I'm just not quite familiar enough with Elyssa to know all the nooks and crannies of the GUI in order to check for other things. Then again, it may not be so simple. If you have any further thought, I'm open to whatever you or anyone else has to offer. As I mentioned in my initial post, I'm really interested in getting this OS to work for me, and I'm reasonably sure that it can and eventually will. Unfortunately, I'm a bit impatient when it comes to this kind of thing. Thanks again for you help, and I'm looking forward to your reply, whatever that might be.
ahogg

Post by ahogg »

One more thought to add into my loss of sound dilemma. I just tried to play a CD, and it works fine. So it does not appear to be a hardware malfunction. I also tried some online games, and at least the one that I tried actually has sound again. Still no sound with Chromium, and there was no login sound. Not sure what I did. Now I'm really stumped.

Return to “Hardware Support”