will beryl work on mint? and how do i install it?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
the_punisher

will beryl work on mint? and how do i install it?

Post by the_punisher »

I have linux mint 5
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: will beryl work on mint? and how do i install it?

Post by 900i »

Mint 5 uses Compiz-Fusion, which is the upto date "engine". Beryl has been merged with Compiz.
http://www.beryl-project.org/
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
the_punisher

Post by the_punisher »

So how do i get all that eye candy aside from wobbling windows and a rotating cube???

Those nice transparent themes that people use. How do i get them? I thought beryl was capable of that..
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Transparency can be turned on using the Opacity and Opacify settings in the Advanced Settings control panel. A bit of googling will give you some nice ways to make transparent menus etc as well.

Transparent Window borders are available in two ways. Either by adjusting the metacity settings with gconf-editor (alt-f2 gconf-editor, apps-->gwd) or by replacing metacity with the Emerald window manager (better effects) which is available in the repos.
the_punisher

Post by the_punisher »

thx. so i dwnload emerald themes and manager and when i select a theme nothing happens. there is a list of themes in the manager, i click on them and nothing happens.

how do i activate one of those themes? i also changed the window manager from compiz, but had no effect...
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

It's been a while since I've used emeral but it should work something like this. Start a new session and you should be running compiz with a metacity window decorator. To use emerald type

Code: Select all

emerald --replace
to go back to the way it was type

Code: Select all

compiz --replace
If all goes well and you are happy with emerald you can add the 'emerald --replace' command to your sessions manager. Preferences-->Sessions.

Return to “Software & Applications”