Mint 5 KDE - Wow!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Mint 5 KDE - Wow!

Post by Condorman »

Just wanted to register and post up a quick message to the community here to thank you all for such an amazing operating system. It's really caught me by surprise because I'm mostly an Ubuntu user, and I'd kind of avoided Mint because I imagined it to be just Ubuntu but with nicer themes etc, but I'm finding it to be much more than that! Everything is so polished and considered for the end user. It's a dream to use, and should be a flagship distro for anyone wanting to dip their toe into Linux, and also for other Linux users who just like it easy.

This KDE version though, is absolutely stunning. I decided to try this version first rather than the Gnome version simply because I use Gnome all the time in Ubuntu and wanted a polished KDE distro as my second option (I dual boot). I used to use Mandriva, but since the 2009 version is a bit of a pain (thanks mostly to KDE4 I expect, though not exclusively), I found myself seriously distro hopping for the first time in ages. I then found Mint 5 KDE...

Can I just add my voice too to those who would love to see you continue to use KDE3.5.xx for this edition until such time as KDE4 is ready for general use? Mint KDE is so complete and accomplished, I think a foray into KDE4 too early could potentially harm its reputation at a time when Mint is a real contender against Vista, never mind other distros. With all the goodwill in the world, KDE4 is just not as complete as this edition at the moment, and I think that could be the case for some time yet.

Can I also ask - are you likely to support this edition for three years like Ubuntu is with Hardy, or will it have only a limited shorter lifespan like a regular release? I only ask because I can see myself sticking with this edition for quite some time!

My thanks again, and good luck for the future.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: Mint 5 KDE - Wow!

Post by msuggs »

Condorman wrote:Can I just add my voice too to those who would love to see you continue to use KDE3.5.xx for this edition until such time as KDE4 is ready for general use? Mint KDE is so complete and accomplished, I think a foray into KDE4 too early could potentially harm its reputation at a time when Mint is a real contender against Vista, never mind other distros. With all the goodwill in the world, KDE4 is just not as complete as this edition at the moment, and I think that could be the case for some time yet..
I'm not much of a KDE user but from what I've seen of KDE4 this seems like a valid argument. I don't see the need to go down the 'cutting edge' path just because Kubuntu has.
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

DistroWatch said KDE 4 won't be up to the level of KDE 3 until 2010 or 2011. I formatted over Ubuntu when it replaced my KDE 3 with KDE 4. I'm going to keep Linux Mint 5 CE until KDE 4 is finished.

Also, my distro hopping days are over too. Cheers to the Mint team for the great job they do! Mint is way ahead of all the other distros!
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I'm hoping to stick with this for some time too. Especially if it will be supported long time like Hardy. I'm just so impressed! I've been burning off DVD's of it for friends, friends of friends, and strange passers by. Everyone should try this.

I'm thrilled to bits with it. Truly.
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Post by xnostradamusx »

im quite a distro hopper myself, tried ubuntu,kubuntu,xubuntu,opensuse,fedora,mandriva both gnome and kde, free spire, mempis etc.then alas i tried mint 5 gnome then i found what im looking for in a distro.

then i tried the kde version of mint and all i can say is it really completes me :oops:
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
DrCR

Post by DrCR »

So what is the support life for Mint 5 KDE CE? 1year or 3years? :?:

I'm going to be installing this for a family, and besides security updates I'm basically not going to want to touch it again for as long as possible.

DrCR
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Mint 5 KDE CE is based on Kubuntu Hardy and is not an LTS release, so this has an 18 month support cycle. Mint 6 is based on Kubuntu Intrepid and will be an LTS. Ubuntu held off with the KDE LTS because of the transition from KDE 3x to KDE 4.
?

Post by ? »

Er, Kubuntu Intrepid isn't LTS either.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I could be wrong, but it would seem that the next Kubuntu LTS would have to wait for the next Ubuntu LTS, which of course is not Intrepid. I'm confused about the situation and about how it relates to Mint KDE CE. This thread was interesting:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-982937.html

Where is there any "official" announcement explaining all of this?

Return to “Software & Applications”