[SOLVED] video file icon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] video file icon

Post by SiKing »

I think I broke something.
It used to be that when I opened a folder that contains video files (various formats) in Nautilus I would get icons of the video itself for each of the files. This no longer happens, I just get the default video reel icon. Is it the "Movie Player (xine)" or whatever that used to be that gives this functionality? I uninstalled it for the VLC media player, which I like better. Or is it something entirely different?
TIA for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: video file icon

Post by Husse »

It could be that you removed Movie Player (xine) because I see that installing totem/xine is recommended as a solution to this
That and that you remove everything in the folder
/home/your_username/.thumbnails/fail
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

Husse wrote:It could be that you removed Movie Player (xine) because I see that installing totem/xine is recommended as a solution to this
Yes, that I did. I reinstalled it (it being "totem-xine") back, but still nothing with regards to the icons. :( Odd thing is: I see no additional entry under the menu Applications > Sound & Video ... I'm still missing something.
I even changed Preferred Applications to totem, and still nothing.
Husse wrote:That and that you remove everything in the folder
/home/your_username/.thumbnails/fail
I left the thumbnails directory alone, and so I still get to see all the icons from before. Just the news ones do not change.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SiKing »

Oh, you have to reboot the machine first. How very ... Windows. :oops:

Return to “Beginner Questions”